• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spell Check Says Everything is Spelled Wrong?

Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has never been an issue before. My document is in English: USA, this has never changed or been reset to something else. My brochure that I'm designing has content that has already been edited and peer-reviewed and contains zero spelling errors. InDesign has almost every single word underlined in red, and suggests spelling changes to what APPEARS to be French, but by no means can I speak French, so I'm not sure.

I will say that this template in InDesign was provided to my company by our sister company in Germany. I've asked them what language it was created in and they claim it was created in English: USA. I think that this HAS to be related to the issue, but I'm not sure. Other documents do NOT have this problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Look for this folder:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 15.0\en_US\

If that last folder is identifying French; not English US; then that would be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check these possibilities:

1. Paragraph styles that call for French language

2. Basic paragraph style that calls for French language and you unfortunately have been basing your styles on Basic Paragraph style (and so this was triggered by merely copy n pasting some text content from another ID document)

3. Your InDesign was reinstalled specifying French language. You don't have any mischievous co-workers around you, do you? 

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the great suggestions! I did look through these items, and unfortunately it seems like none of these are the pestering issue! You never know with those coworkers though, I'll have to dig a little deeper on that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doswald,

without being able to see into a sample document it's hard to tell what happened.

Did you ask if spell check will work with the German version of InDesign the sisiter company is using?

What you can do: Check if language English: USA is applied to the text.

For that select some text with the Type Tool and look after the value of Language in the Control panel or the Character panel.

Are you both using the exact same version of InDesign?

Or was the template created in an earlier version?

Hm. What's your version of InDesign and operating system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the great insights! I did ask them those questions you suggested when we chatted the other day about this issue. We are both using the same version of InDesign, but they are working on Mac OS operating systems and we are unfortunately on PC. I wonder if the disconnect is here. We are both using Adobe CC and each have the most recent versions installed!

I also checked out if the language is applied to the text and it is! I didn't originally think of that though, so thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look for this folder:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 15.0\en_US\

If that last folder is identifying French; not English US; then that would be a problem.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would like to share a page of the file, we are happy to take a look. You can add it to dropbox and post a link to it here (public) or message one of us directly (private) by clicking on a name. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need to be sure that spelling suggestions are in French, just post a screenshot. I am French.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved now. We'd appreciate if you can mark the appropriate answer correct.

If you used any other method, please share it here. It'll help other users having similar concern.

If you still have issues, let us know. We'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines