• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spell checking alternate layouts is annoying

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The spell-checker selects text boxes in a stupid order, jumping back and forth between linked layouts so it ends up checking the linked (slave) text box before it checks the master (source) text box. There is no point in correcting an error that will just be erased when I update the links. Much more sensible would be to check ALL the text boxes in the main layout before checking ANY of the text boxes in the alternates. Just allowing me to spell-check a specific layout would help a lot.

Another fantasy is to search and spell-check text boxes in page-number order.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

As Willi indicated, the fewer separate text frames in your document, the less Check Spelling will jump around, so keeping frames threaded as much as possible will help.

It's a workaround, but one thing you could do is temporarily set the Language for all of the Paragraph Styles used in your Alternate Layout to No Language, and Check Spelling will skip that content. Once done, set the language back to its proper setting. 

I would also suggest logging your preference as a feature request at th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Do you have content on the master? Why?
  2. It seems that you work with several unlinked threads, why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably used the term master incorrectly. Master pages are not the problem; linked layouts are. One layout is the parent and the rest are the children, in the sense that changing the parent will also change the linked children, but not vice versa. Spell-checking a child layout is usually a mistake, but the spell checker insists on doing it. Ditto for Search. Many times I've searched for a mistake, fixed it, and only realized later that I had fixed the child layout, and my changes were lost the next time I updated the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Willi indicated, the fewer separate text frames in your document, the less Check Spelling will jump around, so keeping frames threaded as much as possible will help.

It's a workaround, but one thing you could do is temporarily set the Language for all of the Paragraph Styles used in your Alternate Layout to No Language, and Check Spelling will skip that content. Once done, set the language back to its proper setting. 

I would also suggest logging your preference as a feature request at the Adobe User Voice site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's not much help, but thanks for answering. "Search/Spellcheck in numerical page order" is in fact an item on the Adobe User Voice site so I voted for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines