Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Split native table in my C++ plugin code

Contributor ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to understand how to split the InD native table in my code programmatically, which would really be equivalent of splitting the table at the '+' icon as shown in the attached image.

asaxena_0-1607407737206.png

If there is a SDK sample that illustrates this, it would be nice, but if there are other references or how-to material, please do share the same.

Thanks 

TOPICS
How to , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some level, copy-paste of example code won't do. 

That plus sign is a feature of text containers (frames and TOP) rather than tables, it indicates overset text. For a project such as yours, you should have an experiened user on the team to answer such questions and bring up plenty more - identify edge cases, write specs and test cases, perform interactive tests, user interaction etc. If not, ask your boss to schedule some time for reading the user manual, or online introduction courses on InDesign - e.g. Linked-In.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading around a bit, I still don't understand how to split the textframes that house the tables, programmtically in my C++ plugin.The documentation that comes with SDK isn't clear either or may be I just can't piece together the various pieces. I have got as far as being able to link the secondary frames, but I think I am still missing something.

It will help if there is a reference to something more concrete that I can refer and build upon (copy-paste isn't in my agenda, at least just not yet), even the whole sdk documentation feels nothing short of cryptic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have problems with your terminology. With "link" and "secondary text frames" do you mean the feature described in Thread text frames? It allows to split the table vertically so that more rows can be displayed in following frames and pages. The term "link" is used for something else - pointing to external contents.

Do you instead mean to split horizontally to handle more columns because the table is too wide for your frame? This feature is in development according to this uservoice issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dirk,

the mentioned feature at UserVoice should be capable to split individual table rows, not columns.

I have no idea what our OP asaxena wants…

Assumptions:

[1] Adding text frames to the story so that the whole table with all rows could flow in?

[2] Split the bottom most visible table cell ( or table row ) in the text frame horizontally so that one part of the table will fit the height of the text frame?

FWIW: Currently splitting a table cell horizontally would mean adding a new table row.

[3] Splitting the table to two tables?

???

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, you mean the feature is intended to split an individual table row - let's say row 2, while keeping surrounding rows intact? So the cells from only that row would detach from the remaining table body - as depicted below for before/after?

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 21.10.16.png

Not having used Word in years my guess was that some range of columns, let's say A-C in spreadsheet notation, fits the current text frame as depicted above. Excess columns D-E across all rows of the entire table would draw beyond the frame, and should flow into some newly coupled page item that you could place on the facing page. So I meant to split the table on the horizontal axis between columns C and D and tear off D1 thru F4 for use on the facing page.

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 21.17.30.png

Of course that still leaves us with other split scenarios where e.g. contents of an individual cell spread across multiple pages due to excessive length …

As you say, only asaxena can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks folks for bearing with me. I think I get it  now.

After hours of debugging the 20+ years plugin code that I recently inherited, I have internalized the terms/nouns/foncepts that exist in the code base more than the ones that InD uses. Perhaps.

Apologies for the confusion.

Let me retry rephrasing

My scenario is the one that I posted and as illustrated in the screen shot in my OP. I really want to be able to do exactly what happens when the "overset indicator" in red color, is clicked and positioned on any page in an InD document. At a 30,000 ft level, the original table bounding frame (I referred to it as 'primary text frame') has a portion of the table that can fit until the 'overset indicator' and the remainder of the rows 'carry over' to another bounding text frame (I referred to it as 'secondary text frame'). I am really looking at retaining the same exact behavior as through the application.

Am I missing something in which case I am happy to retry again for any specific questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Please suggest if I can help if any more information.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines