• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Split table Cell diagonally, keeping editing capabilies

Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to split a table cell diagonally and have it function as two seperate cells...?

I am aware that you can use diagonal lines to visually divide a cell, but that does not give the functionality I require of  one cell split two independent cells split diagonally (see atatched).

I'm trying to avoid having to manually enter text using a seperate box outside of the table.

Anybody ever had to do this or have a solution?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

I started to reply here but realized that the steps were getting a bit comlicated so I recorded a video that will show you one possible solution to your question. I hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started to reply here but realized that the steps were getting a bit comlicated so I recorded a video that will show you one possible solution to your question. I hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you'll have to download the video to watch it as it doesn't seem to want to play on Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like the link doesn't work anymore.  Any way to re-post?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Chad for a pretty much perfect response, i'm most impressed.....I very nearly never posted this question thinking it might just be a little too niche, but sure glad i did now.

This certainly will help me to achieve what i was looking for, all i needed was a little outside of the box thinking (excuse the pun).

For a bit of perspective this is for a Golf Scorecard I am creating and I wanted to be able to keep the edits inside the table so that if any other collaborators here work on the file and moved anything about (which often happens), the edits would remain in place.
All too often seperately grouped boxes over the top of the cell get ungrouped and lost, by pasting the custom shaped frames inside the cell this has been solved.

Thank you for taking the time to create the video the answer surpassed my expectations.

You just earned yourself an extra follower on twitter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if I agree with the way indicated by Chad, this is not truly workable: painful manual task, especially with cells different widths/height, and more if the layout of these 2 parameters changes.

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it helped Andy. And yes, I think for a golf scorecard, this should work quite well. I used this same technique for a bowling scoresheet 😉 As FRIdNGE pointed out below, it's not ideal and is succeptible to failure in some cases. Because it's not actually a feature of InDesign but instead a workaround, you'll have to take the good with the bad. So glad it helped though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines