Highlighted

Splitting A4 to 2 x A5

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have an A5 booklet made in Indesign. It consists of two files:

- A file with the cover in landscape A4 consisting of two standing A5 pages for the front and back of the cover.

- A file for the content of the booklet, where all the pages are separate standing A5 pages

Now I want to make an e-book (in the format epub) and I guess, that I need to join the two files into one file first, so that all pages become separate pages in standing A5. But how do I split my cover file? And my questions are:

1) Is it possible to merge the two files in a one step so they become one Indesign file with all pages in standing A5?

2) How do I in Indesign split a one page landscape A4 into two separate standing A5 pages without having to reorganize the content of the pages?

3) Is it possible in Indesign to copy and move one side of a one page landscape A4 (e.g. one of the two A5 pages) to my content file?

Topics

Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Splitting A4 to 2 x A5

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have an A5 booklet made in Indesign. It consists of two files:

- A file with the cover in landscape A4 consisting of two standing A5 pages for the front and back of the cover.

- A file for the content of the booklet, where all the pages are separate standing A5 pages

Now I want to make an e-book (in the format epub) and I guess, that I need to join the two files into one file first, so that all pages become separate pages in standing A5. But how do I split my cover file? And my questions are:

1) Is it possible to merge the two files in a one step so they become one Indesign file with all pages in standing A5?

2) How do I in Indesign split a one page landscape A4 into two separate standing A5 pages without having to reorganize the content of the pages?

3) Is it possible in Indesign to copy and move one side of a one page landscape A4 (e.g. one of the two A5 pages) to my content file?

Topics

Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a new document that is A5 in size and make sure Facing Pages is turned on.

Use File>Place to place your InDesign file into the document.

The A4 document will span the 2 x A5 pages in the spread.

You can also place your other InDesign file for the cover the same way.

Use this file to export for the ePub.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, this approach does not answer the questions.

I tried your solution. What actually happens is, that the A4 document will correctly span over the two portrait A5 pages, but when I want to copy and move one of the A5 pages, then one of them is completly empty while the other contains the whole A4 image/document (e.g. half of the A4 is on the A5 page, while the other half is outside). So this is not a real split of the landscape A4 into two separate portait A5 pages (even though the two pages are facing each other)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've linked the file - so you wouldn't move pages around.

Open the original file and make your changes.

Then in your new file update your links.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a landscape A4 page in Indesign which I want to split into two separate portrait A5 pages.

When I choose Layout > Create Alternate Layout and set the page size to A5 and choose the portrait option, then I get the right half of the landscape A4. But how do I get the other half?

I tried to go through the steps again to create a new alternative layout, but I do not have the option to choose the other side. So how to split the landscape A4 page into two separate portrait A5 pages?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate post.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I duplicate I get two landscape A4. I need left side and right side of the A4 as two separate portrait A5 pages, e.g. splitting the A4 into two A5 pages. I cannot see how duplicating solves this issue

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DUPLICATE POST

I mean you've already posted this question.

Please do not do it as it wastes people's time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines