Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SRA3 format not found

New Here ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have the problem with printing SRA3 using InDesign. I found similiar problems on some threads, but no solution .

When you choose the format, SRA3 is not listed in there. The strange thing is, that we have multiple systems, that don't have this issue, but run on the same OS, using the same printer, driver, etc..
In Photoshop for example, the SRA3 format is listed, but in InDesign, it is not.
I'm not sure what could cause this problem.

Used system:
Operating system: Mac Mojave
Printer: Xerox C60

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

It’s not recommended to print directly from InDesign, the normal method is selecting one of the PDF presets, usually  PDF/X-4, and exporting individual pages (not spreads, so the pages can be imposed) and selecting Crop Marks and tick Use Document Bleed Settings.

It‘s also normal for an apprentice to be shown what to do by his or her supervisor!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not set it up as a custom size in InDesign and save it as a Preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all my years in graphic arts, I've never heard of an SRA3 format. Is that a particular printer, or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very common in Europe – oversize A3 (so as to have grip, bleed and printers marks).

Having said that, the normal way of working, as you know, is to output your document as a PDF in single pages, for the printer to impose for SRA3, or whatever sheet size suits the printing machine (unless you were producing an A3 poster).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then again, setting SRA3 and also a bleed makes no sense to me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're right, I made a mistake in the set up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do use pre settings, but you still have to choose the format, given in the dropdown list.

We also tried to make a custom format, using the same sizes as sra3 but it is not really working. How can it be, that the other systems don't have this problem? All are using the same version of adobe products.

And we tried to reinstall the printer driver what also didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example of what the preset looks like:

InDesign Preset.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the original question as being about choices when doing PRINT rather than when doing NEW. So I'm going to answer on that assumption...

The sizes available come from the printer driver or PPD. Compare BOTH selections. A common error is to use the PPD for the wrong printer, or even the device independent PPD, rather than the printer PPD (which lists the paper sizes it handles).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose it depends on whether the OP is asking how to set up a SRA3 document in InDesign or how to print on that size sheet on his desk-top inkjet printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Test Screen Name wrote, if you're printing straight from InDesign, the default paper sizes come from the PPD. Also, the correct PPD depends on which server you have attached to the Xerox (Fiery or one of Xerox's own). Do you know which it is?

But you might be better off exporting to PDF and dropping that in the server, to save the unnecessary conversion to PostScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

thanks for your respond and sorry for my late answer. We currently have Fiery attached on our Xerox. And I can say, that we use the exactly same settings, drivers as we use on our other systems.

We do not own the printer since they are just leased.

Do you mean with exporting to PDF, export every file before printing?

And how can this only be an InDesign issue but not Photoshop for example?

Unfortunately I'm not that experienced in this materia, because I'm just an apprentice...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s not recommended to print directly from InDesign, the normal method is selecting one of the PDF presets, usually  PDF/X-4, and exporting individual pages (not spreads, so the pages can be imposed) and selecting Crop Marks and tick Use Document Bleed Settings.

It‘s also normal for an apprentice to be shown what to do by his or her supervisor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not just about the driver. What PPD please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was anyone able to solve  Bobbin's issue? 

SRA3 is not a custom size. SRA3 is a very, VERY common size and has always been included in the standard size options through the InDesign print drivers up until the most recent drivers.

Im sure this issue has been patched by EFI but I can not find the patch anywhere.  I am running 10.12

Creating presets is only a work-around.... it is not a solution.  And saving as PDF and dragging it into the print server is not a great solution either. Printing from InDesign gives you MANY more features and controls  and has worked well for the last 20 years - until now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original poster never answered a key question, but perhaps you can. What PPD do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have two Konica presses side by side  using bonjour.   The older press running Fiery ES IC-417 PS Color Server 1.2 operates perfectly, the newer press runnning   Fiery ES IC-417M PS Color Server 2.1 has all of the issues. I believe it is a EFI Fiery issue... I will contact EFI for advice. Thankyou. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure that this is an answer to my question. What PPD do you use in each case, the working and the not working case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as far as I can see, it states exactly as I said.... The older press running PPD named   Fiery ES IC-417 PS Color Server 1.2, the newer press runnning PPD named   Fiery ES IC-417M PS Color Server 2.1

Mac, Adobe and Fiery products DO NOT work well together anymore. Apple has become a phone company and Adobe just wants subscribers. We constantly update to the latest software and hardware here and both have been going backwards for a very long time. But at least they are becoming more expensive! 

Thats ok.  I have contacted EFI. They were able to recreate our issues and  are sending a representative out to see us. Hopefully they can help.  Thankyou 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming it is the PPDs as well; you seemed to be just telling us what server you were running, which is not relevant. I don't know why you relate this to subscriptions. Since PPDs were invented, and long before InDesign even existed, the list of page sizes come from the PPD. It seems that your new device has a PPD that doesn't include SRA3. This is something I hope Fiery can fix, but it doesn't really need anyone to visit you to do that... It really is the PPD, just the PPD, and nothing else at all. The replies seem to have made a simple thing very complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To emphasise: InDesign doesn't talk to the device. It reads the PPD to find what the device has to offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Everyone..

Yes, we have this issue.  Let me explain it.  All printers need a PPD to communicate with the device:

[APP] -> [PPD] -> [Printer]

What TEST SCREEN NAME is referring to, is the fact that when selecting print options from Adobe, there are limited paper options, for example, page size SRA3 does not exist.  Just some random assortment of page sizes

Since Adobe Acrobat, in my case, has it's own PPD driver to send to printer, it does not have the requisite settings for the printers we use.  SRA3 is very common and standard in many print presses around the world.

However, when we print from Corel Draw for example, PPD is installed as Konica PPD, this applies to the Konica printer.  We get all the options as expected the machine can do.

So what we really need, is when printing directly from Adobe Acrobat, the options for SRA3, and some other basic print features like step and repeat.  This is basically applicable to all print jobs, and this size is more common than A3 these days, that can be found on Adobe PPD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines