Highlighted

SRA3 format not found

New Here ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have the problem with printing SRA3 using InDesign. I found similiar problems on some threads, but no solution .

When you choose the format, SRA3 is not listed in there. The strange thing is, that we have multiple systems, that don't have this issue, but run on the same OS, using the same printer, driver, etc..
In Photoshop for example, the SRA3 format is listed, but in InDesign, it is not.
I'm not sure what could cause this problem.

Used system:
Operating system: Mac Mojave
Printer: Xerox C60

Thank you

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Derek Cross | Adobe Community Professional

It’s not recommended to print directly from InDesign, the normal method is selecting one of the PDF presets, usually  PDF/X-4, and exporting individual pages (not spreads, so the pages can be imposed) and selecting Crop Marks and tick Use Document Bleed Settings.

It‘s also normal for an apprentice to be shown what to do by his or her supervisor!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

SRA3 format not found

New Here ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have the problem with printing SRA3 using InDesign. I found similiar problems on some threads, but no solution .

When you choose the format, SRA3 is not listed in there. The strange thing is, that we have multiple systems, that don't have this issue, but run on the same OS, using the same printer, driver, etc..
In Photoshop for example, the SRA3 format is listed, but in InDesign, it is not.
I'm not sure what could cause this problem.

Used system:
Operating system: Mac Mojave
Printer: Xerox C60

Thank you

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Derek Cross | Adobe Community Professional

It’s not recommended to print directly from InDesign, the normal method is selecting one of the PDF presets, usually  PDF/X-4, and exporting individual pages (not spreads, so the pages can be imposed) and selecting Crop Marks and tick Use Document Bleed Settings.

It‘s also normal for an apprentice to be shown what to do by his or her supervisor!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not set it up as a custom size in InDesign and save it as a Preset?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all my years in graphic arts, I've never heard of an SRA3 format. Is that a particular printer, or what?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very common in Europe – oversize A3 (so as to have grip, bleed and printers marks).

Having said that, the normal way of working, as you know, is to output your document as a PDF in single pages, for the printer to impose for SRA3, or whatever sheet size suits the printing machine (unless you were producing an A3 poster).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then again, setting SRA3 and also a bleed makes no sense to me...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're right, I made a mistake in the set up!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do use pre settings, but you still have to choose the format, given in the dropdown list.

We also tried to make a custom format, using the same sizes as sra3 but it is not really working. How can it be, that the other systems don't have this problem? All are using the same version of adobe products.

And we tried to reinstall the printer driver what also didn't work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example of what the preset looks like:

InDesign Preset.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the original question as being about choices when doing PRINT rather than when doing NEW. So I'm going to answer on that assumption...

The sizes available come from the printer driver or PPD. Compare BOTH selections. A common error is to use the PPD for the wrong printer, or even the device independent PPD, rather than the printer PPD (which lists the paper sizes it handles).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose it depends on whether the OP is asking how to set up a SRA3 document in InDesign or how to print on that size sheet on his desk-top inkjet printer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Test Screen Name wrote, if you're printing straight from InDesign, the default paper sizes come from the PPD. Also, the correct PPD depends on which server you have attached to the Xerox (Fiery or one of Xerox's own). Do you know which it is?

But you might be better off exporting to PDF and dropping that in the server, to save the unnecessary conversion to PostScript.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

thanks for your respond and sorry for my late answer. We currently have Fiery attached on our Xerox. And I can say, that we use the exactly same settings, drivers as we use on our other systems.

We do not own the printer since they are just leased.

Do you mean with exporting to PDF, export every file before printing?

And how can this only be an InDesign issue but not Photoshop for example?

Unfortunately I'm not that experienced in this materia, because I'm just an apprentice...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not just about the driver. What PPD please?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines