Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

stapled booklet printing issues with blank pages

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i'm having an issue printing to booklet -2 up, saddle stitch- ( i have to use MS PDF printer, no other way around that) with the empty pages.

right now the layout has 26 pages in 14 spreads, 1st page alone(on the right) then final page alone on the left side.

Eliminateur_0-1614034495009.png

The layout content is built as this:

page 1 and 26 are the corresponding cover and back cover

page 2 is blank(that's the opposite of the cover), page 3 starts the content(right side)

If i select to print without "blank pages" the result is all broken:

spread 1 is pages 26,1 -->correct

spread 2 is pages 3,25 -->WRONG. it should be 2,25 as the 2nd spread should be the opposite side of the same paper sheet as 26,1 (so you get 1 ->2 then 25->26 on the same sheet)

If i tick the "print blank pages" in print settings, then it breaks differently but way way worse:

spread 1 is pages 1 (blank, 1) -->WRONG

spread 2 is pages 2 (2, blank) -->WRONG again

spread 3 has the back cover, i stopped checking after this as it's a total mess

¿how do i fix this?, ¿why is it not putting the correct sheets in the 1st case?

I also did a little test, i put some text on page 2 to see if the printout would be correct as it's no longer a blank page, well i was wrong, it broke everything like the 2nd case.

according to this: https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/indesign/using/printing-booklets.html

it should not be doing this, i have an even number of pages that can be nicely spread on 14 spreads.

In fact according to that link, the first sheet should be 1,8-2,7 for a 8pg file, in my case it should be 1,26-2,25!, yet i'm getting 1,26-3,25

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

First thing I noticed is that your page count needs to be evenly divisible by 4 for proper imposition.

If you can divide the total pages by 4, an easy way to calculate page arrangement is to make sure the pages add up to your total page count plus one. For example, if 28 pages (28/4=7), the pages would be (left/right) 28/1, 2/27, 26/3, etc. Each page spread would equal 29 in this example (28+1).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I noticed is that your page count needs to be evenly divisible by 4 for proper imposition.

If you can divide the total pages by 4, an easy way to calculate page arrangement is to make sure the pages add up to your total page count plus one. For example, if 28 pages (28/4=7), the pages would be (left/right) 28/1, 2/27, 26/3, etc. Each page spread would equal 29 in this example (28+1).

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

oh... i was counting the 26 and wasn't thinking on them being divisible by 4(which makes perfect sense). crud now i need to remake the entire layout to add anotehr full spread at the end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines