• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Start Paragraph On Next Odd/Even Page fails when jumping object

Participant ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Paragraph Style to define the Chapter Title of a document, where the chapter should start on the Next Odd Page. The last piece of content of the previous chapter is a full-page image on the RH (odd) page, set to have the text Jump object. As a result, the immediately following chapter is actually starting on the LH (even) page because it has been subjected to the text Jump around the image which is placed where it wants to be.

Is there an elegant way to make the Chapter Paragraph style look ahead to the next AVAILABLE Odd page, so that it does appear as desired?

Is there a workaround that is elegant. I'm considering adding dummy invisible text to fall AFTER the image to push the next paragraph across.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the whole book have to be in one InDesign document? Many people do a different document for each chapter, and use the Book feature to tie them all together. There are some advantages to the Book feature, but maybe there is something that makes you want it all in one document. Do you have a particular reason, or is this just something you decided?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for your reply. This isn't really the issue. I used the example of staring a chapter, however the issue will occur with any Paragraph style with this setting and a jump object immediately before. There could be any number of situations for employing the start on a certain page option, the result that the text does NOT then start where desired is unhelpful. I feel like an extra check box called "Ensure start on next free page/frame" is needed. 
I don't use the book feature as I don't collaborate and it's an overhead I haven't engaged with. Pros and cons to each methodology and the above issue could still occur within book documents anyway. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you anchored the image into the text frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This particular example had the problem that it was a full page anchored object, on the LH page so I could not anchor it to preceding text - the anchor must be on the same spread, I believe.

I actually moved some images around earlier in the chapter and the original problem went away, as the last object in the chapter is now text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I anchored, and removed anchor. No difference - the following PAragraph, set to start on an odd page, starts on the right as it considers the wrapping text to still be on that LH page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you should do is set the Keep Options on the Chapter Title paragraph style to start on the next odd page. This will force the Chapter Title to always start on an even page regardless if there's room after the image that preceeds it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad,

The Chapter Number is set to start on the next Odd Page in the Keep Options - the Chapter Number is a paragraph style just in front of / above the Chapter Title, so it is the first text of the chapter and must start on the right.

I did not understand your phrase "will force the Chapter Title to always start on an even page", as this is what is happening but NOT what I want to happen. Was this a typo?

The problem is that the chapter is jumping over the image (which is a whole page anchored object - and is the final content of the previous chapter) as that is taking up the Right Hand page at the end of the previous chapter, which is where the next chapter would like to start. I attach an image showing the layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I guess I didn't fully understand what challenges you were encountering from your first post but when I went in and replicated what you were doing, I saw the problem. I've not encountered this before but it appears to be a bug in my opinion. Because the Keep Option is not doing what we're telling it to do. I think I figured out a solution and I've attached a video that shows the solution. I hope this helps!

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/347f425e-ab66-4ddb-71cd-85a2e2b309fa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, Chad - how kind to create a really clear explanation and workaround solution!

In fact, I did do something similar, in terms of adding a breaking character, or other hidden character to force the extra page jump. Fortunately, this is one of the last tasks in the project so pretty much everything is fixed in terms of where the text is - no drastic re-flows are now going to happen.

I also considered if inline was a possible solution, too.

If you genuinely feel this is a bug (or an extra check box somewhere in a dialog box is required to force priority of the keep options over the text jump option) then would you recommend that up to Adobe? Maybe development feel that the workaround, is in fact the correct way, though essentially this is a matter of priority - which setting overrides the other? Either way, thank you for helping resolve!

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem. You can write up this bug on InDesign Uservoice at https://indesign.uservoice.com. Once you do, post the link here so we can all vote on it. This is how we get adobe to get these things done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines