• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still no multi core or GPU support is starting to be absurd

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using InDesign daily for more than 12 years. For years, we are crying for multi-core CPU or/and GPU acceleration (Win platform). The current situation, where all CPUs are favoring multi-core architecture with less focus on single core performance (the correct way) is making InDesign to be so absrud, that InDesign withing heavy/large workflows are borderline unusable.

Right now I am sitting on 6k+ USD computer setup, upgraded to oblivion just to wait seconds to InDesign to zoom in. My last project was exporting for 8 hours and cca 30% of really big gigs are freezing without noticing. So you must constantly checking background tasks, and cannot even let this run overnight.

Seriously what the hell Adobe.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are things you can try:

https://trainingonsite.com/featured/speed-up-indesign.html

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to the response given above, I'd request you to follow suggestions given on this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behavior-of-indesign...) to improve the performance of the app. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

I am working with heavy documents and "working" on them is painfully slow because 7 of my 8 cpu cores are not used by Indesign. Also I happened to create simple Indesign documents which generate reproducable crashes when exporting a pdf. Sent it to support. No answer. Working professionally with Adobe hurts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both the "correct answer" and the answer form an Adobe employee are non sequiturs regarding multi core support. So, yeah, not sure if this is going to change any time soon. I remember how nice InDesign CS felt in 2004 compared to Quark. Now on my Mac Studio the latest version of InDesign can utilize up to 10% of the available CPU power, GPU is not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had ID notably slow down on me, even on long, long documents or very complex, multi-layered layouts. I tend to run "peak of the wave, not leading edge" systems and only update the platform every 4-5 years.

I have to honestly wonder how many complaints about ID's speed and things like multicore use come not from actual console performance, but from paying too much attention to fascinating but meaningless realtime system numbers. Call it Benchmark Syndrome.

Just, you know, sayin'.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your slightly mean spirited point seems to be that you don't need it, so other people's need might not be legitimate. Even calling it a syndrome. Let's not do mean spirited.

Sometimes it's InDesign that's slowing the work down on simple documents, sometimes it works just fine on complex ones. But as long as it's InDesign that's showing me the beachball at 10% CPU usage (a single core in my case), I don't feel the need to justify my disapointment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benchmark Syndrome?! Maybe neurotic syndrome from all the frustrated waiting and slowness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't trying to poke any sore spots here. Simply observing from around 40 years of building systems for a variety of high-performance uses, and learning over time that quite a few users fret more over benchmark numbers than actual, at-the-desk performance.

If ID were to go multicore tomorrow... I doubt any but a single-digit percentage of users would actually notice. It's just not an app with many CPU bottlenecks except at extreme document scales. But three times as many dashboard-watchers would be convinced that their workday was massively improved.

I don't think observing this is 'mean spirited' except in the sense of telling a proud new car owner that no, regardless of what his speedometer says, it probably won't go 180 MPH. 🙂

That said, GPU acceleration would be a nice improvement, even with ID's relatively modest demands. I note that it seems to be problematic on a large number of Mac systems, though, and I would be concerned that trying to implement it on the much less controlled and structured Windows side might be even less useful. I'll always choose "no feature" over "buggy, annoying feature."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started with PageMaker and now all versions of InDesign.  I've always struggled with these products not having enough capacity to do my work, long documents with a lot of linked images and 1000's of hyperlinks.  To this day, I find ID slow and unstable with my projects, yet its the only software option.  I believe a lot more than 1% of users would benefit and notice multi-core architecture.  If you consider just "professional" users of ID, it would be at least 50% of us that would benefit.  Just because there are a lot of light users of ID, that don't need multi-core, shouldn't preclude Adobe from upgrading the software for pros.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response. I understand your concern and will share your feedback with the team. You can also try the suggestions shared in this article for troubleshooting slow performance issues. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess my $20k+ Threadripper Pro-based system wouldn't run Indesign any faster with multicore capability enabled. The reason I'm experiencing excruciatingly long wait times for things to render or process must be due to my system not meeting the basic requirements... I don't use benchmarks to determine my system's capabilities, but real-world use. It screams through GPU accelerated and multi-core-enabled tasks, but struggles with InDesign on complex jobs.

I am genuinely sorry for the snark, but a lot more than a single-digit percentage of people would notice the performance increase. I've been buidling and using multi-cpu (or multi-core) systems since 2001. It would be nice if InDesign could support that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign runs fast enough to have no noticeable delays on fairly modest systems, even with rather bulky projects. I'm glad you budgeted for a thermonuclear system, but any slow performance you're experiencing likely has nothing to do with your dollar benchmarks.

But those who have to buy next week's tech always think so. Pardon any snark, there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I detected no real snark in your reply. I'm just trying to say that InDesign and other single-core non-GPU-accelerated programs are the only things that run slowly on most of the systems I use, regardless of how thermonuclear the hardware is. I know a designer who has a system several times more expensive than mine who has the exact same issues, as well as quite a few working with i7s, i5s, and their Ryzen equivalents who also share in this dilemma. It isn't the hardware. It's the software. Having instant screen drawing would be a tremendous help, since I have to use high-quality display settings to make certain that everything lines up precisely when placing odd ratio customer-provided files, for instance. Having to toggle between the display performance modes is a waste of time. Similarly, there are quite a few tasks that, as in Illustrator, could be completed far faster on a multi-core-enabled InDesign. It's good software, but it isn't optimal. I built my system to handle pretty much anything I could throw at it for video editing and 3D rendering. I know that my per-core performance isn't as good as a much more moderately priced modern Core i7 or i9, but I have a significant advantage over those processors when I'm able to use all my cores to their fullest. I'm not just talking about benchmarking with Maxon. I mean in real-life situations. If I relied only on benchmarks, I would have driven myself nuts by now, and I wouldn't be getting any work done. I genuinely do not mean to insult or impugn anyone. I know that the experts in these forums are called so for a very good reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In your previous post you mention complex jobs - what kind?

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines