• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Story Splitter script not working with Indesign 2020

New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried just tried splitting a story with the good old script from 2006. It seems however, that it stopped working with the latest version of Indesign.

Any of you eager scripters out there know is there is a 'quick' fix?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anders,

Could you be a bit more specific as to what do you mean by the script not working. Does it error out, does it produce wrong results or something else. Also please quote the source from which you got the script. Searching a bit i found one version on these forums which has been reported to work as late as the 2018 version, could you try the version given in the following thread. Read the whole post and look at the code given at the last which has some corrections for issues that cropped up while the post transferred to the new forums.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/please-provide-the-story-splitter-script-by-adi-ravid/td-p/5...

If this is not the code that you are referring to, or it still does not work according to you then provide your version of the script so that we can have a look and try to fix it.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to the sample script "SplitStory.jsx" that gets installed with InDesign in the Scripts/Scripts Panel/Samples/JavaScript folder, I just tested it using version 15.0.1 and it appears to be working properly. Are you referring to a different script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

can you tell the source of the script code?

Maybe you recently copied the code from one of the older threads here in the forum?

Then it could be that the code is not working as expected because transferring old threads to the new forum damaged some code details.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Manan, David and Uwe

Thank you all for your kind help. I re-downloaded the script, and placed it in the Application folder, instead of the User folder. Which solved the problem. I don't know if it has anything to do with the Indesign 2020 update.

I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi andersg54130520,

usually the User folder should work as well like the Application folder for scripts.

So it was very good that you brought up this issue.

Now the question is: What's in the script's code that prevents the script running from the User folder in the Scripts panel.

Can you share the script file?

Put in on Dropbox or a similar service and provide a download link so that we can look into it.

Thanks,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all ... Had the same problem. Downloaded the file, copied into user ... no go. I moved to the application folder still no go. The file I downloaded had .jsx as the file type, I dropped the "x" and voila ... working. Note: Mac OS Catalina, Indesign 2020. Maybe a MAC thing but I thought I'd share. Also, double check that your system did not add .txt to the end... Macs do this sometimes. Not so sure about PC's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JacobITremblay,

thank you for reporting this!

I'm a bit curious… Why did you download the script file?

That shouldn't be necessary because a full substitution, BreakTextThread.jsx by Timothy Arial Walden, should be installed with InDesign 2020 version 15.1.1.103. See into the Scripts panel's new Community folder. More on BreakTextThread.jsx:

Break Text Thread: A Free InDesign Script
by Ariel, January 28, 2020

https://www.id-extras.com/break-text-thread/

FWIW: Interesting to see that a file with suffix *.jsx will not run from InDesign's Scripts panel.

I'd say this is a bug. I could imagine that suffix *.jsx is not tied to the ExtendScript Toolkit application (ESTK) anymore. The ESTK cannot run with Catalina, because it is 32-bit software, but nevertheless, the script file should run from InDesign's Scripts panel! A security permission thing perhaps?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

*.jsx should run just fine from the script panel 
Im using an older version of Indesign at work, 2017, but they work fine. At home i use 2020 i blieve and the *.jsx files also work just fine. JSX is the extendscript extension, its their own language and used all across of their apps.

Scriptpanel showing .jsx extensionScriptpanel showing .jsx extension

How about those example fules which come with Indesign, those are JSX and JS files. If they show the others should show as well. You can view them in the other folders in that panel, application > samples > 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines