Highlighted

Strange bars appear on reopening a document

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is weird. I'm working on the latest version of InDesign. I have files that were created using an earlier version (maybe a year ago) and I need to update them. When I open the file, in the second page, these weird bars show up. They are not part of any text or image boxes, but if I delete the text or image boxes, the portion of the bar goes away. See attached images. This happens with all the files of this kind. Not other documents. These bars do get exported as a PDF with the rest of the document.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by SJRiegel | Adobe Community Professional

The text in those boxes has a really large underline applied. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 1.32.38 PM.png

Turn off the underline, the bar goes away.

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 1.35.07 PM.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Strange bars appear on reopening a document

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is weird. I'm working on the latest version of InDesign. I have files that were created using an earlier version (maybe a year ago) and I need to update them. When I open the file, in the second page, these weird bars show up. They are not part of any text or image boxes, but if I delete the text or image boxes, the portion of the bar goes away. See attached images. This happens with all the files of this kind. Not other documents. These bars do get exported as a PDF with the rest of the document.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by SJRiegel | Adobe Community Professional

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would save the InDesign files as an IDML; then open the IDML and save-as a new ID files (don't replace your original).

This should/could remove any possible document corruption. Keep in mind that you may lose any new features since the IDML basically brings the document back to CS4.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying. I just tried that and the bars are still there when I open the IDML file. I re-saved with a different name and the bars are still there when I reopened the new INDD file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a sample of the file to your CC account and share it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. The link is https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/485fdd66-1fef-4922-6a39-e0d4c2d27313

I tried copying the boxes and pasting them to a new document and the bars came with the boxes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That was not the case before, obviously. The underline was maybe 1 pt? I wonder what changed with the latest version to make this happen.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0