• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange font behaviour automatically resizing as I type

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, hoping someone can shed some light on my situation.

I am facing something I have never faced before. As I type in a text box, no matter the font, there seems to be some kind of behavioural rule telling the font to shring ever so slightly. It only does this to characters an x amount of characters behind the character currently being typed.

Here is a gif showing what I mean: https://imgur.com/a/0Oujn9b

This happens with various fonts using this paragraph style, and does not happen using the basic paragraph style or in other documents. So I am pretty sure it is due to something in the paragraph style or character style, but I am not sure what it is. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

This is in a book document, with various paragprah styles and character styles used, some of which include GREP styles for tidying up word widows. I am using InDesign CS6.

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Hi Doug,

look into the character style that is applied with the GREP Style.

Maybe the character style defines scaling of characters [a-z] differently to 100% ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if there is a GREP Style and/or a Nested Style(s) applied to the paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is a grep style, which I knowingly applied, from this article here: https://creativepro.com/de-runt-your-paragraphs-with-a-grep-style/ not sure why it behaves this way, do you know by chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check in the Justification pallet in the Paragraph Pallet. It may be set to allow very tight spacing. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 7.14.45 AM.png  Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 7.14.56 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. Checked it and those numbers are okay thouhg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I tracked down the problem but I don't know exactly how to solve it - the paragraph style actually has a Grep style about runts from creativepro's article here:  https://creativepro.com/de-runt-your-paragraphs-with-a-grep-style/
If I take it out, the problem goes away. If I change the 10 to 5, for example, the shrinkage of letters begins 5 characters instead of 10 behind the last character. So is the GREP code bad? Why is this behaviour happening?
Thanks for any help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

look into the character style that is applied with the GREP Style.

Maybe the character style defines scaling of characters [a-z] differently to 100% ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are a brilliant genius, this was it. Under advanced character controls it was for some reason set to 106% vertical scaling. I bow to your excellency, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines