Highlighted

Strange numbers appearing in EPUB Indesign

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

So I've written a novel and made it into an e-book with InDesign.

Everything is working fine, except for strange numbers appearing on the right hand side (see images) of the text that I myself have not put there. I don't know where they are coming from and I've tried a million things but I just can't get rid of them.

Does anybody know what this is and how to solve it???

Thanks!!

Fran

Topics

EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Strange numbers appearing in EPUB Indesign

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

So I've written a novel and made it into an e-book with InDesign.

Everything is working fine, except for strange numbers appearing on the right hand side (see images) of the text that I myself have not put there. I don't know where they are coming from and I've tried a million things but I just can't get rid of them.

Does anybody know what this is and how to solve it???

Thanks!!

Fran

Topics

EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably this is a Reflowable ePub. Did you include folios with it?

(You don't have page numbers with this format)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Derek is on the right track. I suspect the folios were manually placed on each page instead of the master page. If course, for flowable EPUBs, you don't need folios at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign master page items are not transfered in reflowable ePubs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly (which is what I said). I think the page numbers are not on the master page but manually placed on each page (probably by cut-and-paste). If the designer wants to see them during the design/proofing process, put them on the master page. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fran:

What application are you using to view the EPUB? Could it be adding the figures? 

EPUB files can also be opened on a computer with several free programs, such as Calibre, Adobe Digital Editions, Apple Books, EPUB File Reader, Stanza Desktop, Okular, and Sumatra PDF. On a Mac, users can read EPUB files with Kitabu.

Try a different reader and let us know if the numbers are still visible.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb & others,

So I did the whole thing again and placed NO page numbers anywhere and still the numbers on the right side on the pages show up....??

It's driving me crazy 😞

It doesn't show in Digital Editions, only on my e-reader.

BR

Francine

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Barb suggested, have you tried other readers? You can't really go by Digital Editions. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, thanks for the replies!!!

To be honest: I don't know what a folio is. I have not put page numbers on the Master page, nor did I manually put any on the pages themselves. I don't see the option of turning off page numbers all together?

This happens only on my e-reader (Kobo Clara HD). When I open in Adobe Digital Editions, there are no funny numbers.

I've asked a friend to check the EPUB on her e-reader, but I've not yet heard back from her.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth spending $15 and getting a validation and an in-depth analysis of your ePub using Flightdeck (of course it might not isolate your issue): https://ebookflightdeck.com

If you have some knowledge of HTML and CSS, it would be worth opening the ePub and see if you can find something strange.

(Will you want to convert the ePub for use on a Kindle in due course?)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines