Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroke Scaling not Working Indesign CC

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue just started today.  

When I scale an object the strok does not scale with it, even though my settings are set to scale stroke and effects.  Here are my settings in Indesign preferences:  

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 2.53.28 PM.png

Here are my settings in the transform window:  

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 2.53.48 PM.png

So, if I'm correct, the strokes should be scaling, but it doesnt.  Here's what's happening:  

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 2.54.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-10 at 2.54.15 PM.png

I've tried the following:  

1.  restting the preferences.  

2.  quitting and restarting indesign 

3.  Re-selecting preferences.  

4.  Restarting Computer.  

I'm running Indesign CC (up to date) on a Macbook Pro 2019, OS 10.15.7.

Any advice is much appreciated.  Thanks!  

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Are you holding down Ctrl/Cmd as you scale? (Shift too, of course, to maintain the aspect ratio.)

~Barb 

cmd.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh,

can you make the document available for testing?
Just put it on Dropbox or a similar service and share the download link.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you holding down Ctrl/Cmd as you scale? (Shift too, of course, to maintain the aspect ratio.)

~Barb 

cmd.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!   I did that and it works.  So, that'll help me get the project done now.  But, I'm still wondering why it doesn't work by default since I have it set up that way.  

Josh 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @joshs1152553:

Glad that takes care of it for you.

On this user-to-user forum, we can't tell you why Adobe does anything (!) but we can usually offer the steps to help you accomplish a stated goal. In this case, the Cmd/Ctrl+Shift is a shortcut to resize frame and content proportionately.  And I checked InDesign 2019—it works the same way in that version, as well, so this hasn't changed lately.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Josh,

don't know why, but I thought you were trying to scale the artwork with the Transform panel.

That will definitely work as expected with your set preferences if you type in new values for Scale. The same if you are using the input fields for Scale in the Control panel. That as an explanation why I suggested to make the document available.

FWIW: Simply dragging the handles of a frame, in your case a group, to a new size is something very different than scaling. Without holding an additional key, the Ctrl/Cmd key, you simply doing a new size. It will not scale a property like stroke weight. Thankfully Barb gave you the solution!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines