• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Swatches not importing into indesign from illustrator via clipboard

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I cut and paste elements from Illustratror to InDesign the item would appear as an editable shape, and its colour would be added to the Swatches.

Using the latest versions of Creative Suite — the object gets pasted as an uneditable vector shape and it’s colour is un-getable — it doesn’t appear in the swatches and the eyedropper tool won’t pick it up either.

Have looked at changing clipboard settings but no change…

Any ideas?!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cut and paste of objects from Illustrator to InDesign only works for relatively simple objects (less than a few hundred anchor points). If it's more complex than that, it's not editable and the swatch values are not copied. It's always worked this way from the beginning of when the copy feature was included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m cutting and pasting a single rectangle!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you try a simple object you'll probably see that it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m cutting and pasting a single square, that then appears in inDesign as an uneditable embedded vector graphic shape inside a standard image box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The colour wasn’t defined as Swatch in illustrator, having added it to the palette it appears now to bring the colour into the swatches. Never had to do that before…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a swatchaholic! I always create swatches for my colors so they can be edited and reused so I wouldn't have encountered that problem. Makes sense to me that it only will copy swatches that are already created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Likewise — but for this to work I also had to define the swatch, which is a standard CMYK split, as a spot colour for it to import via the clipboard. I then have to redefine it as CMYK once it was captured by inDesign. Something is definatley up here…

(been using Adobe software since 1993)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines