Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

synchronise audio playback control for Indesign EPUB

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hullo,

I have written and illustrated an e-book and added animation. It's been several years of work and it's almost ready to publish ...but for one issue that I am yet to solve.

I have a challenge with controlling the playback of a single MP.3 audio file.

I want to control the audio to sync with the specific pages of the e-book.

Within the Interactive options of Indesign there seems to be no control over where the audio starts and stops for the pages, all the media and button options I have tried result in the audio resuming from the beginning of the recording for each new page, or resuming from the beginning with all the button options.

Video media has a timeline control that can select specific areas to play back on a single video, but audio does not appear to have this same fine-grain control !

I have read the forums and searched some of the professionals in the area (Liz Castro, Pariah Bourke). I have searched tutorials on Lynda and YouTube.

Currently the only options I can see for controlling the playback of the single MP.3 in my e-book are:

1. Cut the single audio into 20 clips and place on each page (controlled by a button). This would be OK but it would break up the continual smooth sound that is within the MP.3.

2. Maybe I will convert the MP.3 to a video and set the designated areas to play back on each of the 20 pages. But this will maybe add unnecessary size to the e-book.

I was hoping someone here might know of a way to get more control over a single audio file and control the playback in indesign; so that a single audio clip can be set to play at 1-2 minutes on page one, 2-3 minutes on page 2....etc etc until the end of the e-book.

Or will I need to jump into the mysterious (and, for me, frightening) space of coding to fix this audio sequence issue?

Thanks for any guidance and solutions  🙂

Damien

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still looking for a solution. Have you managed to to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure there is a solution for this; it's basically trying to turn an e-book into a timed video. One of those things, like typing your correspondence in Excel*, that can be done... but almost everything about it is questionable.

(* Yes, I knew someone who did their text docs in Excel. Word was just too sloppy for them.)

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"it's basically trying to turn an e-book into a timed video"

Hi there, James! Thanks for your response, but I'll have to disagree with this one. 

Let me clear this up a lil bit:

My partner is currently finishing an interactive children's book, and I was asked to do the sounds. My initial idea was to:

1) make an ambient track (mostly wind sounds and a constant and calm "drone") that would last constantly for pretty much the entire book, changing to another ambient track at a certain point; and

2) make other sound effects, which are supposed to be triggered when clicking/touching characters on the screen (example: you click an owl in a certain page, and it makes a sound).

Idea nº 2 is pretty easy to do with InDesign, as we all know. However, the first idea is being a considerable obstacle. Changing pages will "chop" the audio, making the experience a lot less smooth - it also restarts the song from the beginning, which is undesirable.

A temporary solution would be using a video on autoplay, syncing the parts to specific pages, and making it invisible, but I really don't like workarounds such as this one. Considering this, will I have to resort to PubCoder? What do you think?

Thanks a lot, again.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EPUB is built around a certain set of assumptions, and while those limitations can sometimes be bridged, attempting to make the reader — which may be any of at least half a dozen, with dozens more lurking out there, hardly any two the same in function or feature set — support such hacks reliably can be between frustrating and impossible.

EPUB has multimedia support, but is not a completely flexible multi-media playback device. Getting a file to support the page-by-page audio automatically, and then do so even across a few of the better readers, is way outside its envelope.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines