Highlighted

synchronise audio playback control for Indesign EPUB

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hullo,

I have written and illustrated an e-book and added animation. It's been several years of work and it's almost ready to publish ...but for one issue that I am yet to solve.

I have a challenge with controlling the playback of a single MP.3 audio file.

I want to control the audio to sync with the specific pages of the e-book.

Within the Interactive options of Indesign there seems to be no control over where the audio starts and stops for the pages, all the media and button options I have tried result in the audio resuming from the beginning of the recording for each new page, or resuming from the beginning with all the button options.

Video media has a timeline control that can select specific areas to play back on a single video, but audio does not appear to have this same fine-grain control !

I have read the forums and searched some of the professionals in the area (Liz Castro, Pariah Bourke). I have searched tutorials on Lynda and YouTube.

Currently the only options I can see for controlling the playback of the single MP.3 in my e-book are:

1. Cut the single audio into 20 clips and place on each page (controlled by a button). This would be OK but it would break up the continual smooth sound that is within the MP.3.

2. Maybe I will convert the MP.3 to a video and set the designated areas to play back on each of the 20 pages. But this will maybe add unnecessary size to the e-book.

I was hoping someone here might know of a way to get more control over a single audio file and control the playback in indesign; so that a single audio clip can be set to play at 1-2 minutes on page one, 2-3 minutes on page 2....etc etc until the end of the e-book.

Or will I need to jump into the mysterious (and, for me, frightening) space of coding to fix this audio sequence issue?

Thanks for any guidance and solutions  🙂

Damien

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

synchronise audio playback control for Indesign EPUB

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hullo,

I have written and illustrated an e-book and added animation. It's been several years of work and it's almost ready to publish ...but for one issue that I am yet to solve.

I have a challenge with controlling the playback of a single MP.3 audio file.

I want to control the audio to sync with the specific pages of the e-book.

Within the Interactive options of Indesign there seems to be no control over where the audio starts and stops for the pages, all the media and button options I have tried result in the audio resuming from the beginning of the recording for each new page, or resuming from the beginning with all the button options.

Video media has a timeline control that can select specific areas to play back on a single video, but audio does not appear to have this same fine-grain control !

I have read the forums and searched some of the professionals in the area (Liz Castro, Pariah Bourke). I have searched tutorials on Lynda and YouTube.

Currently the only options I can see for controlling the playback of the single MP.3 in my e-book are:

1. Cut the single audio into 20 clips and place on each page (controlled by a button). This would be OK but it would break up the continual smooth sound that is within the MP.3.

2. Maybe I will convert the MP.3 to a video and set the designated areas to play back on each of the 20 pages. But this will maybe add unnecessary size to the e-book.

I was hoping someone here might know of a way to get more control over a single audio file and control the playback in indesign; so that a single audio clip can be set to play at 1-2 minutes on page one, 2-3 minutes on page 2....etc etc until the end of the e-book.

Or will I need to jump into the mysterious (and, for me, frightening) space of coding to fix this audio sequence issue?

Thanks for any guidance and solutions  🙂

Damien

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 29, 2017 1
brownjm LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0