• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tab problem

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this about a week ago but was unable to attach the sample file I was discussing so let me try again.

This has happened many times over the years.

If I try to add a row anywhere (in this case direcly above the last row), when I hit enter it causes the second column to tab over one space. If I try to backspace the date, as shown, it causes both columns to center. 

I have tried everything I can think of to correct this, but with no luck.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

If you turn on Hidden characters, and select all of the text you can see what @migintosh is describing.

Select all of the text and show Type>Tabs. Click the magnet icon to align the Tabs panel with the text. Here you can see there are 6 different tab stops for the selected text. The hidden characters are showing that the paragraphs have different numbers of keyed tabs—there should only be two tabs for each line, along with two corresponding tab stops:

Screen Shot 8.png

With all of the text selected, you can

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of your rows are center-aligned. They should all be left.

The row that begins with "Season cancelled due to Coronavirus" has 5 tab characters and 4 spaces. You only need one tab and no spaces.

You have 6 tab stops set, and you only need 2.

The last two rows that start with "Adam Cohen" have 6 tab characters after the year. They provide you with no benefit. Why are they there?

The way this is set up is how you would need to do it on a typewriter. InDesign has tools to do what you want, but you have to use them. One tab to the next column. One return at the end of a row. One tab stop for each column. Use left, right or center tab stops where you need them. You might want to Google "setting up tabs indesign" to get some info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you turn on Hidden characters, and select all of the text you can see what @migintosh is describing.

Select all of the text and show Type>Tabs. Click the magnet icon to align the Tabs panel with the text. Here you can see there are 6 different tab stops for the selected text. The hidden characters are showing that the paragraphs have different numbers of keyed tabs—there should only be two tabs for each line, along with two corresponding tab stops:

Screen Shot 8.png

With all of the text selected, you can clear all of the Tab Stops via Clear all, and from the Paragraph panel set all of the text to Left Justified

Screen Shot 9.pngScreen Shot 10.png

Then add the two stops back positioned where you want them. Here I’ve set two tab stops for all of the text and deleted the unnecessary tabs from the text:

Screen Shot 11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines