Highlighted

Table / Cell Options

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is horizontal alignment/justification? [Resolved: button on toolbar sufficed, wasn't aligning in table due to style, "#" was centered for end.]

Why is resizing columns so difficult.

CS6

(are these resolved in later versions?)

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Table / Cell Options

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is horizontal alignment/justification? [Resolved: button on toolbar sufficed, wasn't aligning in table due to style, "#" was centered for end.]

Why is resizing columns so difficult.

CS6

(are these resolved in later versions?)

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi astropaiter,

what specific problems do you have with "resizing" columns?

If it is about the width of columns, you may want some fixed width and distribute others along the width of your text frame, you may find the AutoColumn II script by Gerald Singelmann very handy:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140701055644/http://indesign-faq.de/en/autocolumn2

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wellllll.  As I recall. The columns can only be resized in one direction, from left to right or the reverse, I don't recall.  I do recall that after adjusting one way, it would push the other, so that one needed to sort of shift back and forth between adjusting, all of the columns. The scenario that prompted this thread was first the wonkiness described above, and second that specifically that column 1 (at far left) would exceed the text frame and be frozen, unadjustable, which then led to going back to the wonkiness to try and resolve. Maybe Willie Wonka would like, but I'm not at that factory.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 0
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is resizing columns so difficult...I do recall that after adjusting one way, it would push the other, so that one needed to sort of shift back and forth between adjusting, all of the columns.

In all versions of InDesign: hover over the right side of a column and drag left or right to resize one column. Add the Shift key to resize all columns. Same for rows. There is also an distribute rows/columns equally in the Table menu.

~Barb

cols.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 0
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

astropainter said: "…The scenario that prompted this thread was first the wonkiness described above, and second that specifically that column 1 (at far left) would exceed the text frame and be frozen, unadjustable, which then led to going back to the wonkiness to try and resolve.…"

If a column exceeds the text frame, this could happen left or right, it depends on the justification of the paragraph, that holds the table, a table column or a cell cannot be accessed directly by selecting it with a click or a double-click.

Instead, you have to select a column or a cell positioned inside the text frame and then use the arrow keys to move your selection on to a cell in the outer column to select it. That behavior is not new and no bug. Just a restriction of the table feature.

To change that behavior I would suggest you do a feature request:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of on and off w/your reply.

Of course, the situation wouldn't arise if the table (or column or cell as you say) wasn't first selected. Your second statement: "then use the arrow keys to move your selection on to a cell in the outer column to select it" is obtuse and I don't think applicable here.  The column widths were being adjusted, nothing to "move a selectoin on to a cell in the outer column" - that didn't apply here at all. It was as stated. In moving a right column, the far left or first column would jump outisde the text frame and then be unselectable, causing the right column that was moved to this to have to be selected and slid back, and then a back and forth ensued regarding re-sizing and the fist/left column gettting stuck and .... wonkiness to describe any further, I'm cetainly not be paid.

"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2020 0
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi astropainter,

sorry, I do not get what you do and what happened then.

Could you record a little movie or do some screenshots to illustrate and comment the behavior you do not like?

Frame edges should show, invisible characters as well.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, it's been a few days, but if it comes up again shortly I'll get a movie...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0