• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of content links not working when published online Indesign 16.0.1 Mac

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Table of Content links are not working when publishing online of a document with lots of images, text, and animation [Indesign 16.0.1 Mac]. Followed all necessary steps when configuring TOC styles and associated Paragraph styles (using Adobe world ready paragraph composer).

https://indd.adobe.com/view/5c91bfb7-1405-4990-a22b-228051bcd2e4

- When tested with a blank, text only, no image, no animation Indesign file, TOC links do work published online.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/fb95fbe9-feb5-478c-ad97-5478351397ab

- TOC links working perfectly on PDF Interactive on both files.

TOPICS
Bug , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Ok, now I understand. You want text in the TOC that is different from the actual text on the page. This comes up fairly often.

Do not use the Non-Printing attribute to achieve this. Rather, take the text frame containing the text you want to appear in the TOC and pull it off the page, so the text isn't on the page, but -- very important -- the text frame touches the page. On the left pages, just pull the frame over. On the right pages, put an indent on the text. See screen shots below.

Voila

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple of things.

There was an issue at one type with hyperlinks and the World Ready composer. It was my understanding that this was fixed. Is it possible to send the first few pages of your file so I can check the TOC set up? It should work fine with Thai. 

And BTW, your screen shot shows Adobe Paragraph Composer applied to the style you are trying to bring into the TOC (TOI).

This document includes Thai and the TOC seems to work fine (click on the small circles to get the TOC items to show). https://indd.adobe.com/view/b6413504-fc6e-422f-a2f3-b9dddca32b88

This is one of many examples you'll find here: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane,

Thank you for your quick response.

I think I found the issue but don't know how to fix it.

- I place non-printing text boxes (see attachments) on pages where 'appropriate titles' are maintained for extraction to TOC. It works perfectly for PDF-Interactive with working links

- For Online Publshing, InDesign ignores non-printing objects to provide links. They do however, appear as text on TOC (see 1st 4 lines of the TOC that are linked and the others aren't)

https://indd.adobe.com/view/d57bd043-6574-470a-9523-94c41a7d5e9f

Here's link to few pages of my InDesign file: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x36le77t2mahakh/AAB3mPdm_YkCwcmk9uJ7tcCIa?dl=0

Is there a better way to manage TOC information in appropriate pages so links appear both Online and PDF?

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.11.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.11.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.10.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.10.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take a look at your file later and get back to you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now I understand. You want text in the TOC that is different from the actual text on the page. This comes up fairly often.

Do not use the Non-Printing attribute to achieve this. Rather, take the text frame containing the text you want to appear in the TOC and pull it off the page, so the text isn't on the page, but -- very important -- the text frame touches the page. On the left pages, just pull the frame over. On the right pages, put an indent on the text. See screen shots below.

Voila! Will work in both PDF and Publish Online. Also, please check "Make Text Anchor in Source Paragraph" in your TOC setup, just to cover all bases. Hopefully this all resolves your issue. 

left page offset.pngright page offset.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! It works beautifully.

However, I believe there may be an unpublished threshold when a text box extends beyond a point - outside the page, those parts of the texts are not linked in the TOC in online version (i.e.: texts that are close to the page are linked, see example). Anyway, I managed to squeeze in text as close to the page as possible.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 1.03.45 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad it worked out. Let me know when complete, be nice to see the final document in Publish Online. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines