May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Paragraph Styles:
Header 1
Subheader 2

Subheader 3

Subheader 4

There are some sections that do not have a Subheader 2 (more than 2-tier hierarchy).

I generated a table of contents, but they are not listing in the correct order, as in Header 1 is showing up below Subheader(s). Headers are in a different text frame on each page, but didn't think that mattered, as the rest of the document is essentially in the right order; it's just the Headers showing up at the end of the sequence in the TOC rather than at the beginning. E.g.:

Header 1A

Header 1B

Subheader 1C
   Subheader 1C

Subheader 1C

Header 1C

Header 1D
   Subheader 1D
   Subheader 1D

Subheader 1D

Header 1E

Subheader 2E

Subheader 2E

Subheader 2F

Subheader 2F

Header 1F

etc...

I have rearranged the TOC levels, even removed and recreated the TOC with no luck.
Any ideas?

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

1.png

if your issue as in my screenshot then the frames (non connected) of HEADER 1 are placed more to the right on the page than the other levels.

You should threading your frames together into a logical reading order or extended the text frame of the HEADER 1 to the left edge of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.png

if your issue as in my screenshot then the frames (non connected) of HEADER 1 are placed more to the right on the page than the other levels.

You should threading your frames together into a logical reading order or extended the text frame of the HEADER 1 to the left edge of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You found it!

But this is frustrating to fix all the headers of a 220-page document!

I can't believe they would rely on the left-right placement as a criteria to make the TOC work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Text Columns in your document? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want them in this order: Header 1, Section Number, Header 2 (attached screenshots).

I had to fix the TOC manually for each section because it was showing after Header 2.

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 11.49.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-27 at 11.53.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you make the BLUE TextFrame to start between MAGENTA and GREEN?

Tall, narrow, text vertical align = bottom.

That way their order will be as you need - the only thing you'll have to do would be to combine paragraphs in the TOC?

And next time include screenshots in you 1st message 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

The solution provided worked for you? I have the same problem but cant even make a thread between my header and the page 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines