Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table questions in Indesign with respect to epubs

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks, two questions about tables:
  1. I have tables in my epub. For tables in one of the chapters, I would like to eliminate the borders. If I edit the table css in Sigil, that won't eliminate the borders on the tables in the other chapters will it?
  2. When I exported my ID doc to a reflowable epub, the tables in one chapter are different sizes when viewed in Kindle Previewer. One fills the page appropriately, the other on the next page is only a fraction of the size. Both tables are the same size in Indesign. Can anyone provide any insight on this?
Thanks, folks!
TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to , Import and export , Print , Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Try the following table and css code. I have attached an epub which you can open in Sigil.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18xCryGWZP3byObjkvLUpegPdUWHf7oa8/view?usp=sharing

It is based on the epub table code here:

https://codepen.io/atelierbram/pen/EVjVBq

As for the 300ppi image: NEVER DO THAT in InDesign's mobile device templates. InDesign works at the device's native pixel/screen resolution when rasterizing at 72ppi. More is only necessary if you want your reader to be able to zoom in further.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be better experimenting with creating a JPG of the table and inserting that as a high res graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

Thanks for responding. I copied the table to a separate text box and went to the object export box, and rasterized the container as 300 dpi., and set it relative to text flow but upon export the chart appears small in iBooks and gigantic in Kindle Previewer, and large and distorted in Calibre. I'm going to try setting it to text size but I'm thinking that's not going to be much different. Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try saving the table as a PNG or JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the following table and css code. I have attached an epub which you can open in Sigil.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18xCryGWZP3byObjkvLUpegPdUWHf7oa8/view?usp=sharing

It is based on the epub table code here:

https://codepen.io/atelierbram/pen/EVjVBq

As for the 300ppi image: NEVER DO THAT in InDesign's mobile device templates. InDesign works at the device's native pixel/screen resolution when rasterizing at 72ppi. More is only necessary if you want your reader to be able to zoom in further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Rayek! I'm totally new to coding so I may have questions for you. My apologies in advance.

Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines