Highlighted

Tables made from CC Library text asset: Text content in table disappears when item syncs. Why?

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Context:
Windows 10 updated
Indesign 15.1.2

More context:
1. The problem manifests if CC Libraries syncing is On or Off.
2. The problem files were made 1 or more years ago. (some in 2019, some in 2018) From here on I refer to these specific files as Chart Files
3. The problem files are on a shared, remote server. Problem manifests whether opening the file from that location or from a copy on a teammembers local drive.
3. The problem manifesting is directly related to a styled table without any text content, that was made/stored only in a shared CC Library. This item was made 2018 or earlier...
4. This problem item was used in this way.

• designer dragged/dropped cc library item into design (Chart File), leaving link intact.
  • But they/we filled the table with text content and the table column/row sizes and number of were revised based on content.
  • Chart File was saved. CC Library links left as is, library item not updated in anyway because the same thing (like a template) was to be used in other files as a starting point for content
  • Those Chart Files were then placed into other Indd files as part of a larger (Book Project) * This Book Project gets printed annually! Some of these Chart Files have been "working" without issue for more than 2yrs... through numerous Indd app updates.

The following problem did not manifest until about a week ago, give or take a few days, after upgrading from Indesign 15.1.1

So, a few days ago, we encounter the following sequence of events when opening any of these Chart Files... Also the problem manifested in a cascade... ie I was the first one to have the problem.. whilst a colleague could still open the file and had no problem... but then as we tried different things, (like saving the Chart File in the latest Indd version) the problem began happening for everyone else as well.

1. Open file, file stops loading on pop-up Missing links dialogueopeningDialogue.JPG
  2. Click OK and file opens with all table content showing (as originally designed and working for the last 2+ yrs) fileBeforeSyncing.JPG

3. Cursor/blue circle churns momentarily... *content tables can be selected!
  4. About 10sec later, cursor/blue circle churns again
  5. Preflight errors/red changes to green "No errors", CC Library links link up (lose red "missing" flag) and all the table content disappears to be replaced by the empty/template CC Library item "tool table"contentDisappeared.JPG

I did discover, that in order to reproduce this opening sequence everytime, for the same file, I could do this.

• Close file without saving
  • Close Indesign
  • Go to C:\Users\[your machine name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 15.0\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery (Delete everything in that folder)
  • Open the indd file... and the problem would manifest all over again...

(If you didn't do steps 1-3, the file's going to open with the content "disappeared" from the get-go)

Soooo... we did figure out a workaround to this... If you noticed, there is a brief time in the opening process (about 15seconds from hitting Ok in missing links dialogue, till the CC Library items re-link) where one can select and copy the table/text frame that's about to disappear! So then you can Paste In Place that into a copy of the problem file you make somewhere (and repeat everything, including reproducing the opening sequence... if the file has more than one of these text/content tables)

After doing this for some files, I thought of a slightly quicker workaround: In that 10sec interval, there's enough time to click File>save as... and if you save out as an idml it strips out the cc library linking (or most of it...depending on the item...)

So, any ideas of what the ___ is going on here! I understand that the cc library item is "overwriting" the linked item in the doc, but where is the content, why doesn't it stay... and why does clearing out the cache (AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 15.0\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery), momentarily bring it back to life again? only to be wiped out again?
And maybe this all boils down to this advice. DON'T do this...( designer dragged/dropped cc library item into design (Chart File), leaving link intact, and filling the table with text content...and saving the file without dealing with the linked items...)
I'm an info hound and love learning the innards of Indesign... Would love to hear some thoughts or even speculations on what this might be about, or even a better solution if one finds this happening to them Thanks

TOPICS
How to, Sync and storage, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Tables made from CC Library text asset: Text content in table disappears when item syncs. Why?

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Context:
Windows 10 updated
Indesign 15.1.2

More context:
1. The problem manifests if CC Libraries syncing is On or Off.
2. The problem files were made 1 or more years ago. (some in 2019, some in 2018) From here on I refer to these specific files as Chart Files
3. The problem files are on a shared, remote server. Problem manifests whether opening the file from that location or from a copy on a teammembers local drive.
3. The problem manifesting is directly related to a styled table without any text content, that was made/stored only in a shared CC Library. This item was made 2018 or earlier...
4. This problem item was used in this way.

• designer dragged/dropped cc library item into design (Chart File), leaving link intact.
  • But they/we filled the table with text content and the table column/row sizes and number of were revised based on content.
  • Chart File was saved. CC Library links left as is, library item not updated in anyway because the same thing (like a template) was to be used in other files as a starting point for content
  • Those Chart Files were then placed into other Indd files as part of a larger (Book Project) * This Book Project gets printed annually! Some of these Chart Files have been "working" without issue for more than 2yrs... through numerous Indd app updates.

The following problem did not manifest until about a week ago, give or take a few days, after upgrading from Indesign 15.1.1

So, a few days ago, we encounter the following sequence of events when opening any of these Chart Files... Also the problem manifested in a cascade... ie I was the first one to have the problem.. whilst a colleague could still open the file and had no problem... but then as we tried different things, (like saving the Chart File in the latest Indd version) the problem began happening for everyone else as well.

1. Open file, file stops loading on pop-up Missing links dialogueopeningDialogue.JPG
  2. Click OK and file opens with all table content showing (as originally designed and working for the last 2+ yrs) fileBeforeSyncing.JPG

3. Cursor/blue circle churns momentarily... *content tables can be selected!
  4. About 10sec later, cursor/blue circle churns again
  5. Preflight errors/red changes to green "No errors", CC Library links link up (lose red "missing" flag) and all the table content disappears to be replaced by the empty/template CC Library item "tool table"contentDisappeared.JPG

I did discover, that in order to reproduce this opening sequence everytime, for the same file, I could do this.

• Close file without saving
  • Close Indesign
  • Go to C:\Users\[your machine name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 15.0\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery (Delete everything in that folder)
  • Open the indd file... and the problem would manifest all over again...

(If you didn't do steps 1-3, the file's going to open with the content "disappeared" from the get-go)

Soooo... we did figure out a workaround to this... If you noticed, there is a brief time in the opening process (about 15seconds from hitting Ok in missing links dialogue, till the CC Library items re-link) where one can select and copy the table/text frame that's about to disappear! So then you can Paste In Place that into a copy of the problem file you make somewhere (and repeat everything, including reproducing the opening sequence... if the file has more than one of these text/content tables)

After doing this for some files, I thought of a slightly quicker workaround: In that 10sec interval, there's enough time to click File>save as... and if you save out as an idml it strips out the cc library linking (or most of it...depending on the item...)

So, any ideas of what the ___ is going on here! I understand that the cc library item is "overwriting" the linked item in the doc, but where is the content, why doesn't it stay... and why does clearing out the cache (AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 15.0\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery), momentarily bring it back to life again? only to be wiped out again?
And maybe this all boils down to this advice. DON'T do this...( designer dragged/dropped cc library item into design (Chart File), leaving link intact, and filling the table with text content...and saving the file without dealing with the linked items...)
I'm an info hound and love learning the innards of Indesign... Would love to hear some thoughts or even speculations on what this might be about, or even a better solution if one finds this happening to them Thanks

TOPICS
How to, Sync and storage, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 01, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is happening to us too and super frustrating as we're having to completely recreate hours worth of work. Items pulled from the Cloud automatically resync to however they are saved in the Cloud, with no option to stop the resync or get the old info back. It is ruining our old documents and making the work we did in the useless if it was linked to the cloud. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry you are facing this problem.
We are seeing the problem and InDesign together with CCLibraries Team are looking into it. Hopefully we will be able to provide you with the solution / workaround soon. Will keep you updated.

Thank you for patience,
CCLibraries team

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0