Highlighted

Tabs not working in Tab Panel or Paragraph Styles

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest version of Indesign (2020), on Mac OS High Sierra. I have a paragraph that has several tabs, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the tabs to move/set. I have tried both paragraph styles (which I want to use as this will be a standard throughout a very large document), and the tabs panel. Nothing. The text does not move. I've just updated Indesign in the hope that it would solve the issue, but it did now. Any suggestions? 

Edited: I just solved the problem by adding an second tab. For some reason, the first tab stop wouldn't adjust, but adding a second one has worked. Apologies for wasting anyone's time who read this. I cannot find a way to delete this post, hence the edit. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jane-e | Adobe Community Professional

There are a couple of things to look at:

• First, turn on hidden characters and confirm that you have pressed Tab once between each column and not twice. There should be no spaces.
  • Second (if you are not using Styles), select all of the paragraphs
  • Open the Tabs panel and click the magnet to align the panel to the top of the column
  • Select the type of tab on the left, then click to create one tab stop for each column and drag the marker to align the column
  • Create or update your paragraph style

Pressing tab a second time will cause errors later and should be avoid. If it is not working, show a screen shot with an insertion point in the text and the Tabs panel open.

~ Jane

TOPICS
Bug, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Tabs not working in Tab Panel or Paragraph Styles

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest version of Indesign (2020), on Mac OS High Sierra. I have a paragraph that has several tabs, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the tabs to move/set. I have tried both paragraph styles (which I want to use as this will be a standard throughout a very large document), and the tabs panel. Nothing. The text does not move. I've just updated Indesign in the hope that it would solve the issue, but it did now. Any suggestions? 

Edited: I just solved the problem by adding an second tab. For some reason, the first tab stop wouldn't adjust, but adding a second one has worked. Apologies for wasting anyone's time who read this. I cannot find a way to delete this post, hence the edit. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jane-e | Adobe Community Professional

• First, turn on hidden characters and confirm that you have pressed Tab once between each column and not twice. There should be no spaces.
  • Open the Tabs panel and click the magnet to align the panel to the top of the column
  • Select the type of tab on the left, then click to create one tab stop for each column and drag the marker to align the column

Pressing tab a second time will cause errors later and should be avoid. If it is not working, show a screen shot with an insertion point in the text and the Tabs panel open.

~ Jane

TOPICS
Bug, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 1