• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

telephone number hyperlink

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The telephone hyperlink works perfectly when I export my InDesign document to an interactive pdf. But, when I choose to PUBLISH ONLINE, the hyperlink does not work, it goes to about:blank (which is a new tab and a blank page).

I am using InDesign CC. Is there a way to make the phone number hyperlinks work?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Bob and Srishti, Thanks for your responses. I am creating this document in InDesign and then Publishing Online. I would like for people viewing my document on phones, tablets, or computers with dialing apps to be able to click on the phone number and make the phone call. This is possible in an interactive pdf, by using a URL link and inputting it and typing this format into the URL space: tel:15052220000. But, when I use this format in the document and publish it online, it opens a tab that says

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How EXACTLY are you creating this? Are you viewing it on a phone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob and Srishti, Thanks for your responses. I am creating this document in InDesign and then Publishing Online. I would like for people viewing my document on phones, tablets, or computers with dialing apps to be able to click on the phone number and make the phone call. This is possible in an interactive pdf, by using a URL link and inputting it and typing this format into the URL space: tel:15052220000. But, when I use this format in the document and publish it online, it opens a tab that says "account error." Instead of dialing.

I did speak with someone from Adobe that gave me a way to make the phone numbers into links that will dial. I really appreciated the help. For anyone else that has this question or problem, here is the solution: Make it a button!

1. Draw a text box the size you want the button to be

2. Select the text box

3. From Button panel select Button

4. Click of +  in the Button Panel for new action and choose "Go to URL"

5. In the URL space, take out "http" and replace with "tel" so that your new URL space will read "tel://and here put 1 plus your area code and phone number with no spaces (ex: tel://15052220000 )

6. Place your button onto the phone number. (Through your InDesign style panel, you can make the number a hyperlink style so that people know it is interactive) But, when people click on it, it will actually be the text box BUTTON that is activated, not the actual number i the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really helped

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to publish a document with a button to make a call repeatedly with no success. I keep getting an error message in a new browser window saying the server could not be found. What am I doing wrong? I've re-read your directions a millioin times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

I had some issues at first because I hadn't put the slashes after tel: and the button didn't work. It needs to be 

tel://18005551212, not tel:18005551212. Also, make sure you have 1 before the area code. (That's if you're in the US, I'm not sure how to format it in other countries.)

I discovered that the pdf needs to be exported as interactive, not print. 

I hope this might help, and good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Joseph. I do have the slashes after the colon, but it's still not working when I publish. I will keep trying. So frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks,

that was a big help!

when i exported to interactive pdf it dosent work,
only when i publish it
so how do you do it wrok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JennyABQ,

When you say telephone hyperlink, do you mean a number to call/SMS? Would you mind sharing a screenshot of hyperlink panel of your document?

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great! Helped me out in a bind.

Thanks JennyABQ!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• How did you export it so it works on a PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interactive PDF! Asking someone is a true and tried method to find the answer myself 🤦🏻‍:female_sign:😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dear JennyABQ, hello dear Adobe community,

this all sounds very plausible and I have followed each of the steps. But: When I exported the interactive PDF and try the button, it just opens my default browser (without any hint of the linked phone number ^^; ). Is this "normal" and is it supposed to be like this or should another application (through which you want to make phone calls) have opened?
Maybe it only works if you open the PDF on your smartphone?
It would be cool to be able to open an internet telephony application from the desktop in the same way.

Do you or anyone else in the community have an answer to this question? 🙂

Stay great and have a creative time you all!

Su

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all! One thing I discovered: Export the .indd file to Adobe PDF (Interactive), not Adobe PDF (Print) for this to work. Generally interactive elements work with PDF (Print) but not this one.

TIP 1: If you have images in the interactive pdf that you want to display at high quality, make sure to change the compression settings:

Interactive PDF Compression.png

TIP 2: If the pdf file size is huge, save it as a Reduced Size PDF in Acrobat PRO:

Acrobat Reduced Size PDF.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines