• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text added to Page 1 is also added to Master Page

Explorer ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I set up a Master Page with several text frames. When I click on Page 1 and try to add text to those text frames, the text also gets appied to the Master Page. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Master-page text frames would be a good idea if you think you might need to edit the size, position, fill or stroke color, etc. of those 4 boxes on all of the document pages at the same time. You would have to release them to the document pages to do that, but you don't have to click them to release them. If you select pages in the Pages window (click on the icon of a page, shift-click to include other pages in the selection), you can use the fly-out of the Pages window and select Override All M

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... so I found the solution to the immediate problem. Cmd + Shift + Clicking on the text frame on Page 1 made it editable without altering the Master Page, as suggested here. https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/master-pages-with-text-boxes/td-p/4565151?page=1

However, all four text frames should be editable on every page. Do I have to go through this process with each new page or is there a way to automate it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be surprised if adding text to a document page is adding the same text to the master page. What I think you're doing is adding the text to the master page, and it's showing up on the document page. That's the way it's supposed to work. So I think you're just mistaking the Master page for the document page.

As far as releasing the master-page items on the document pages with Command-Shift-click, that's what you have to do if you want to edit master-page items on a document page. If you want to do this to every page, you should consider whether or not these items belong on the master page, or if you should just create them on the document page. There are benefits to both workflows, but it depends on what you want to do and why. Maybe you could describe what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. What I'm trying to do is set up four text boxes that will always be in the same place on every page but will always have different content on every page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Master-page text frames would be a good idea if you think you might need to edit the size, position, fill or stroke color, etc. of those 4 boxes on all of the document pages at the same time. You would have to release them to the document pages to do that, but you don't have to click them to release them. If you select pages in the Pages window (click on the icon of a page, shift-click to include other pages in the selection), you can use the fly-out of the Pages window and select Override All Master Page Items. This will release everything on the master page to the document pages for all of the document pages you had selected. If you have items you don't want to release (like the page numbers), cut them from the master pages, do the override, then paste-in-place the master items back on the master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, as of right now, I'm not 100% sure about sizing of the text frames. So it sounds like I should keep the Master page and just Override All Master Page Items in the manner you suggested. Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines