Highlighted

Text Box In / Out Ports in Wrong Location

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a template and the in- and out ports are in the wrong locations when I draw and try to link text frames. How do I fix this? Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 7.20.10 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi marap26899889,

you purchased a template that very likely was done with the Middle East ( ME ) version of InDesign that is optimised for right-to-left ( RTL )scripts like Hebrew. What you see is a story with several text frames threaded where the story direction is running from right-to-left instead of left-to-right. Unless you have the ME version of InDesign you cannot change the story direction in your installed version.

You can do two three things:

[1] Contact the maker of the template to change the story direction from right-to-left to left-to-right.

[2] Use an ExtendScript script to change the story direction. The code below:

// Set story direction of all stories of active document to LTR:
app.documents[0].stories.everyItem().storyPreferences.storyDirection =
StoryDirectionOptions.LEFT_TO_RIGHT_DIRECTION;

How to save ExtendScript code to a script file and install it so that it is visible in InDesign's Scripts panel, see:

https://www.indiscripts.com/pages/help#hd0sb2

FWIW: There could be other things that are specific to the ME version of InDesign.

Are you using a facing pages document? Please check if page 1 starts on the left of the spine. Also check if in the next spread page 2 is on the right of the spine and page 3 is on the left.

[3] Hand back the template and get a refund. Note the reasons that I outlined above.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Text Box In / Out Ports in Wrong Location

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a template and the in- and out ports are in the wrong locations when I draw and try to link text frames. How do I fix this? Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 7.20.10 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi marap26899889,

you purchased a template that very likely was done with the Middle East ( ME ) version of InDesign that is optimised for right-to-left ( RTL )scripts like Hebrew. What you see is a story with several text frames threaded where the story direction is running from right-to-left instead of left-to-right. Unless you have the ME version of InDesign you cannot change the story direction in your installed version.

[1] Contact the maker of the template to change the story direction from right-to-left to left-to-right.

How to save ExtendScript code to a script file and install it so that it is visible in InDesign's Scripts panel, see:

FWIW: There could be other things that are specific to the ME version of InDesign.

Are you using a facing pages document? Please check if page 1 starts on the left of the spine. Also check if in the next spread page 2 is on the right of the spine and page 3 is on the left.

[3] Hand back the template and get a refund. Note the reasons that I outlined above.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi marap26899889,

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0