Highlighted

Text disappearing when i hit "Return"

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When typing in a textbox, if i hit return, the text disappears.  When I undo the action, it says  "undo column break". I never turned on column break!  HELP!  THNX!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by John Mensinger | Adobe Community Professional

By default, the Number-Pad Enter key inserts a Frame/Column Break. To enter a "retrurn" use the keyboard-body Enter key.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Text disappearing when i hit "Return"

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When typing in a textbox, if i hit return, the text disappears.  When I undo the action, it says  "undo column break". I never turned on column break!  HELP!  THNX!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by John Mensinger | Adobe Community Professional

By default, the Number-Pad Enter key inserts a Frame/Column Break. To enter a "retrurn" use the keyboard-body Enter key.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 09, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that did it!!!! THANKS so much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a visual to help with John's correct answer:

keyboard mac.png

By default, these two keys are programmed differently in InDesign. Use the left one for a new paragraph, the right one for a column break. 

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great visual, solved my problem and educated me!! THANKS!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 1
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my coworkers is having the issue that when she hits the RETURN key (on the left), it's creating a column break rather than a new paragraph. Any ideas what's going wrong for her?? I can't seem to figure it out. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and turns out that if you have a keyboard that has (2) ENTER keys, Adobe uses the right one (in the number section) as a paragraph break and the main one (above the SHIFT key) for return. Hope that solves the problem!

Mario Porto

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0