Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text fills frame differently on pages

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am typesetting a book. For the chapter headings I have set paragraph styles so that the layout on the first page of every chapter looks exactly the same. 

However, on some of these pages, there is a 0.2mm difference where the text ends in the frame compared to other pages, despite the exact same paragraph styles being used for each part of the chapter heading for every first page of the chapter. So some pages look perfect and others have to be adjusted.

I have made sure that the A frame is correctly applied to the pages and that there are no additional frames behind, added by accident.

I have made sure that there are no hidden characters, returns, anything lurking which might make a difference. I have deleted all the spaces and started again from the top of the page, re-setting each line with its paragraph style, just in case there is something there. To no avail.

I now have to manually reduce either a space before or space after one of the paragraph styles by 0.2mm so it lines up with the opposite page.

In the files attached, you can see that the tail of the P is on the line in one and above the line by 0.2mm in the other. Frames are the same for both pages, styles are the same for both pages.

What is going on!? It's driving me mad...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Kato

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've sussed out why, but I can't fix it.

There is a frame behind the frame with the text (in spite of me saying there wasn't - sorry). It is the frame from the A-master. And as the text is on the frame in front, the layout is different. I don't know why?? And I have no idea how to move the text to the correct frame, because of the text flow links. Everything messes up. Too hard.  

I will just have to manually adjust each dodgy page.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, ignore that last post, I don't think that has anything to do with it. Back to square one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen grabs are not showing enough text for me to really see the problem. How about showing us entire pages, one showing the problem and the other as it should be.

At the moment, I'm thinking you are concerned that the text does not extend to the bottom of the defined text block, but I can't be sure. If that's the case, it might be that you have some additional paragraph spacing added somewhere on the page, or a paragraph that uses a different line spacing. Are you using a grid for text alignment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying Peter.

I am absolutely sure it is nothing to do with additional paragraph spacing - all the text adheres to their relevant paragraph styles, there is nothing different between each page.

I think it is something to do with the A-master frame behind the text frame (which holds the text and which is threaded).

I have grabbed three full page screenshots. On the last one (5), I moved the text frame away to expose the A-master frame behind. Pretty sure it is something to do with this but I have no idea how to move my text away from the threaded one to the A-master and not mess up the whole document...

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I take both the A-master frame and the text frame out of the page, to the side, and lay them one over the other, the text appears in the right position i.e. the tail of the P is 0.2mm above the text frame box. But as soon as I drag the frames back to the page, the P drops down 0.2mm to the wrong position again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so on the left side of my A-Master, there is the 'basic paragraph' code. On the right side, there is nothing. 

This is the hash symbol shown in the frame. Can I clear that? I mean, there is nothing in the right page A-master. I don't know how this got in there, but would it make a difference??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still not seeing what you mean from the screen shots. You need to clearly show one that is correct, and one that is not, when everything is in its proper position. Make some notations on the images if necessary.

A screen shot of the A master spread with visible frame edges and invisible characters showing might be useful, too.

The hash character is InDesign's end-of-story marker and cannot be deleted. It will appear in an otherwise empty text frame and is not causing the problem. You might check to see if anything on the page has text wrap applied.

Are any other pages besides the chapter starts using this master page? If there are, do they also show your problem? Is this happening only on one half of the master spread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information about the hash, Peter. 

So, I zoomed right in to get a better shot of the problem - where the tail of the P is in a different position on the different pages - I wanted to show the exact mm difference between the pages.

Zoomed in, the Ps were exactly the same on both pages! When I zoomed back out, everything was in the right place on the screen...

So this is a display issue rather than something within the program causing it not to align properly. All resolved.

Thank you very much for the time you took to help me, Peter. (I'm feeling a bit silly now...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad it's resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines