Highlighted

Text Frame Auto-Size causing crashes

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Whenever I activate  'Text Frame Auto Size' it as a parameter of an Object Style, it crashes InDesign soon after. I get the error "Adobe InDesign is shutting down. A serious error was detected. Please restart InDesign to recover work in any unsaved InDesign documents."

I tried using the Text Frame Auto Size feature on a new, small document, and it worked correctly, even with the same fonts and style sheets. Is there something corrupt about my larger file? Or is there something about that document that might be causing the rebellion agains the Text Frame Auto Size feature.

I tried exporting it as an idml file and reopening that as an indd file, but that brought no relief.

I've a complex book project that's almost done, so I'd like to avoid having to re-build it from scratch.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can remedy this problem? this is an academic text-book with loads of boxes -- it would be great to have the Text Box Auto-Size function working.

thanks!

kurt

using:

InDesign 2020 on Mac

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Steve Werner | Adobe Community Professional

There could be corruption in your file. Try saving the file as IDML (File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or Later [IDML]. That gets rid of corruption because it re-creates the file. Then open the converted file and try again.

TOPICS
Bug, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Text Frame Auto-Size causing crashes

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Whenever I activate  'Text Frame Auto Size' it as a parameter of an Object Style, it crashes InDesign soon after. I get the error "Adobe InDesign is shutting down. A serious error was detected. Please restart InDesign to recover work in any unsaved InDesign documents."

I tried using the Text Frame Auto Size feature on a new, small document, and it worked correctly, even with the same fonts and style sheets. Is there something corrupt about my larger file? Or is there something about that document that might be causing the rebellion agains the Text Frame Auto Size feature.

I tried exporting it as an idml file and reopening that as an indd file, but that brought no relief.

I've a complex book project that's almost done, so I'd like to avoid having to re-build it from scratch.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can remedy this problem? this is an academic text-book with loads of boxes -- it would be great to have the Text Box Auto-Size function working.

thanks!

kurt

using:

InDesign 2020 on Mac

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Steve Werner | Adobe Community Professional

There could be corruption in your file. Try saving the file as IDML (File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or Later [IDML]. That gets rid of corruption because it re-creates the file. Then open the converted file and try again.

TOPICS
Bug, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I am hopeful that the issue is resolved by the suggestions shared by Steve. If not, you may try the steps shared here.

Please email your file to idfile@adobe.com & we will take a look at the file. If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

I must also inform you that file recovery can't be guaranteed with a 100% success. We'll surely try our best.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0