• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text from Word and Excel do not adopt paragraph style when pasted into InDesign

New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before InDesign 16.1, when  client gave me a Word or PowerPoint document with copy edits I could copy a sentence, paste it into an InDesign paragraph (with a parageaph style assigned) and the new copy would automatically adopt the InDesign paragraph style. Now, when I paste text it retains the Word or PPT assigned style and adds that style to my paragraph styles. How can I correct this? Any suggestions?

Thank you

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Clipboard Handling section of your InDesign preferences and make sure under "When Pasting Text and Tables from other Applications" that "Text Only" is selected. Do this with no document open and then quit the program. When you relaunch it will become the default.

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 8.08.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @paulay76911850:

I just use Edit > Paste without Formatting in this situation. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also of great use if you do copy/paste from Word:

RichPaste | Copy and Paste with Minimal Formatting [UPDATE]
Marc Autret, April 06, 2016
https://www.indiscripts.com/post/2015/10/richpaste-copy-and-paste-with-minimal-formatting

Quoting Marc:
"When it comes to pasting text from another document or application, InDesign provides two options, either keeping the original text attributes, fonts, styles (the full 'Paste' feature), or removing all attributes ('Paste without formatting'.) We also have tools and preferences in the field of style mapping, but on many occasions these features do not fit the need of dealing quickly with basic formatting problems. Here RichPaste comes to the rescue…"

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines