• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text in table cell doesn't flow to next line

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have imported a Word document with several tables in it. As I resize the rows and colums to make the table fit in the InDesign page, text within a table cell does not flow to the next line (to create two lines of text, for example). It just becomes overset text, even though the cell has enough height for two lines of text. If I create a line break manually, then I can get two lines of text, but the text does not flow to the next line automatically (which is what I want). Any suggestions for how to correct this?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

… It could be a no-break space after "of", an inappropriate Grep or nested style included in the para parameters! …

I'm a Jedi not a medium!  ðŸ˜‰

Share a .idml file with such a table if you want more help!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View hidden characters, there could be a lot of extraneous spaces and other invisibles that could prevent a proper text flow. Also check the cell's height allowance, and insets of the cells. These values don't always make a transition from Word to ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but none of that seems to be the issue. There are no extraneous hidden characters, and the cell height and insets are all okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give us

- .idml of example with your table (through some dropbox or yadisk service)

- screenshot of what is now

- screenshot of what you want.

Are you about this problem?: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/33854788-op...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried creating a new table from scratch, and I have the same problem there. No matter how high the table cell is, text won't flow onto a new line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Para "Justification" settings!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean "Adobe Paragaph Composer", etc? That doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Minimum Word Spacing
Minimum Letter Spacing
Minimum Glyph Scaling
Single-line Composer

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can make some small changes with those settings, but what I don't understand is why text isn't flowing normally. Some text does flow onto two or more lines, but even then, it breaks at a strange point. For example, I have a cell with the text "Form of consumption". InDesign insists on flowing it on two lines as: "Form / of consumption". But "Form of / consumption" would take up less column width. Why won't it flow that way? And why are some cells flowing normally while others won't flow to a second line at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… It could be a no-break space after "of", an inappropriate Grep or nested style included in the para parameters! …

I'm a Jedi not a medium!  ðŸ˜‰

Share a .idml file with such a table if you want more help!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GREP Styles -- you got it! Thank you infinitely!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I had the same problem, it was the GREP styles too! I had the text inside the table which inherited the GREP styles of the body text, which was set up to avoid orphans... I would never have thought digging into the GREP styles to solve that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines