• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text jumping around in text box. NOT related to text wrap.

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having an issue with some of the text jumping around in the text block while we are making edits to the text. It is not related to text wrap.

We hadn't seen this problem until we converted from CS4 to CS5.5.

The background:

We use a proprietary page generation system. This generates IDML, which we open in InDesign. We then pull this information into our CS5 templates. This system has always worked fine in the past. Now, however, we are having this odd problem. The only thing that has changed is the version of InDesign.

What happens:

In some cases we are editing a word, changing punctuation, moving something within a table, or even just changing the color of a letter. When it is triggered, the text from the body of the text block jumps around in the box (many times ABOVE the headline information). Normally the movement is upward, but it makes longer edits very tricky as the lines are moving around within the text block.

What we do when it happens:

Usually, if we find a safe place within the text to type a return we do that, then delete that return. This solves the problem, but only temporarily. If the file is opened and closed, it goes back to jumping.

Why this is a big issue for us:

We are working on catalogs, some with more than 400 pages. There are large amounts of items. Much of the time we have to make global changes with find/replace and GREP replace. This often causes situations where the text jumps and we don't notice. It can even happen when we are checklisting our files (right before it goes to the printer). This makes us very nervous.

Does anyone have any knowledge that might be able to help us?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

I just had the exact same problem. I experimented with Text Frame Options and found a possible sollution: Under "Baseline Options" tick "Use Custom Baseline Grid" (see screen shot attached). In my case the text stopped jumping and hopefully it will help someone out there too.

Screen shot 2012-10-17 at 10.52.47 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

baseline grids are tricky, and not always appropriate. the general rule is the spacing on the grid needs to be set to the leading, or half the leading, of the main body text that you are using (I don't advocate the half-leading increment because it can result in adjacent columns bing misaligned by a half line).

Looking back at the problem description, I don't think a grid is going to help, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2016 Jun 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! You've saved me from a heart attack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

T H A N K   Y O U  !

This was driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn! I was really excited about my "discovery". Is there any way you can

send a page from the document to me to play around with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your custom baseline thing worked for me.So grateful. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you saved my career. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just curious, was the OP's problem solved by this answer? The only posts I see is where it says it did not work for the OP (even if it worked for others). Did I miss it?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 Years later and this solution worked for me lol. Thanks from the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick for me, Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked!

But I haven't come across this issue ever since I started using InDesign from the day it was introduced. 

This started happening the day I updated it to the latest version 18.5.1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem and it was making me NUTS!  Finally I found a work around...I copied/pasted my text from ID into Word (or really any program) and then copied/pasted again and back into ID and no more crazy text wrap.  I know it does not make sense but at least it works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2013 Nov 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi miwvawy,

I had the exact same problem and it was fixed by the baseline option that Markuslabuschangne suggested.

I wish it would work for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the problem for me. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign 5.5 - Found under "Object/Text Frame Options/Baseline Options (tab)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found I had a similar issue but it was a hidden layer I had underneath that had an object with Text Wrap set (despite having hid that layer). What I did to fix this was, right-click on the layer for layer options, and selcted "supress text layer when layer is hidden", and it solved the issue of the text jumping around.Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 4.54.40 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic, thank you Markus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstall the fonts you are working with in the file were you have the problem. I had the same problem, tried everything: reinstalled indesign, reinstalledcreative suite. It kept comming back, even on a brand new computer (The new computer was installed from a timemachine backup). A collegue suggested a font problem. It was the Roboto font. Deleted it and reinstalled a new set of the font from another mac who didn't had the problem. Problem solved - Finally

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue!! Thank you so much for solving this for me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JUMPING TEXT WITH TEXT BLOCKS

I have been having this same problem happen for about 2 months on multiple documents, spent hours on the phone with Adobe reps. The problem got escalated and the third rep "fixed it" by clearing any overrides that existed within Paragraph Style, but then any text with tiny changes reverts to original style. The jumping stopped, but that is not a solution! This is a BUG that needs to be remedied. have never had to create character styles for every single tiny change I want to make to text. 

Examples:

• a few words in a paragraph to be italizied, bolded or underlined
  • tighten the kerning to remove a widow at the end of a parapgrah
  • reducing the size of a ©, ®, â„¢

Note per other answers in the community:

• These issues have not been just within TABLES, so that's not issue
  • I have always used magic mouse and that cannot be the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LEADING NOT CHANGING FOR SEVERAL POINTS AT A TIME.

related to the text jumping?

I'm also having issues with changing leading, where I will reduce it manually one point at a time and it will not change (decrease or increase) for several points, and then it will final work, but it's way too tight or open. Again, these issues happened at about the same time and have never happened before EVER. And I have been using this program since it was created. 

Again when the Adobe rep removed any Paragraph or Character Styles it stopped. 

I've always been able to stray from the applied Paragragh or Character style before without issue. If I remove the style, the text changes to defalt font & size... NOT what I want. ?????

HELP Please as this seems like a BUG to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that your text is aligned on the baseline grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take a look at that again. The online Adobe support looked at that, but maybe they missed something.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines