• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text jumps/oversets leaving huge white space

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a peculiar problem. At a particular point on the page, the text jumps to the next page/oversets for no rhyme or reason, leaving huge white space. There is no break that I can see, the text frame extends to the bottom of the page, there are no keep options. There is no problem with the indenting and spacing. I went through the troubleshooting steps on this page: https://indesignsecrets.com/the-case-of-the-disappearing-text.php to no avail. I can continue typing a significant amount of text beyond the trouble point without the text jumping.

Good people, I need your help. Thank you. CC 2019
The link to Google drive for the file, if you need it, Circumcision.indd - Google Drive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Hi nathanir ,

your issue is caused by the special character for Column Break after "stomach.":

SpecialCharacter-CauseOfTheProblem.PNG

You may have typed an Enter on the number pad instead of a Return on the main part of your keyboard.

From my German InDesign, showing the menu doing a Column Break ( "Spaltenumbruch" ) where the keyboard shortcut is showing "Numpad Enter":

DoingColumnBreakSpecialCharacter.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi nathanir ,

can you post the document where you see this issue?

Best together with an exported PDF that is showing this.

FWIW: This should be an InDesign file with at least two pages.

The one you posted has only one page. And I cannot see any jumps or overset there.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that may have been a different version. A link to the folder that contains the .indd and .pdf files Indesign problem - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I add the second page, I can take the overset text on to the next page while leaving a huge white space on page 1. You can see that white space in the pdf file. Thanks for looking at the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi nathanir ,

your issue is caused by the special character for Column Break after "stomach.":

SpecialCharacter-CauseOfTheProblem.PNG

You may have typed an Enter on the number pad instead of a Return on the main part of your keyboard.

From my German InDesign, showing the menu doing a Column Break ( "Spaltenumbruch" ) where the keyboard shortcut is showing "Numpad Enter":

DoingColumnBreakSpecialCharacter.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That worked, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines