• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text paragraph width

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The paragraph does not use the maximum width of the column. A little word can end up on the line below when there is enough space to be on the previous line. I am having this problem all over my document.
I used a couple of time the "no break" setting but as it everywhere in my document, I whish I could understand why.

Does anyone know why is this happening?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show us your paragraph style settings

Satz-Feineinstellungen.png

and a screenshot of the behaviour in your document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I am working on a document with sensitive information that I cannot share. But here the setting.

Parag_style.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The paragraph’s Justification, Composer (Single Line or Paragraph), Hyphenation and Balance Ragged Lines settings, all have a cumulative affect on how lines break. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So many possibilities!

We have also seen documents with GREP styles—automatically assigning No Break on the fly—that were created by a previous user that are impacting the layout for the person who inherited the document. Once you find them, you can modify or remove them. 

Option 1: we gave you an idea of where to look and you can fix it yourself

Option 2: start sharing screen shots so that we can see what is going on

Option 3: share your file—you can put it on dropbox and post the link here (public) or message me directly (private) by clicking my avatar above this reply.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created this document, so strated from new doc. Unfortunately, I am working on a document with sensitive information that I cannot share. If you could give me and idea of where to look that would be great. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you replace your text with placeholder text (with the formatting structure preserved), does the unwanted behavior persist? If so, show us a screenshot of this document or upload this file and link here.

(And we don't need the whole document - a page or two is perfectly fine.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Justification and Hyphenation variable combinations are enormous:

Screen Shot 19.pngScreen Shot 20.pngScreen Shot 21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be a number of possible issues. Does the text have a right indent? Have you used non-breaking spaces? Do you have character styles applied--either manually or automatically?

As pixxxelschubser suggested, you really need to replace the sensitive text and show examples and post a sample document. Otherwise, it's a guessing game.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with Lorem ipsum text, but it was not the same. So I cropped a part of the text to show the right border only. Following all good info I'm getting in this post, I tried to change the "Composer" setting. I noticed a difference between "Adobe Paragraph and Single-line composer" It seems that "singl-line" makes a better job. I was wondering if the French text could be an issue for this kind of problem? 

Image removed by the moderator 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Paragraph Composer (usually) provides more balanced line endings within a paragraph (see the lower part of your example).

And you can optimize the "holes" even further. But there is no general setting for this. There are many "screws that can be turned".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the language set to French or French: Canadian?

Does enabling Hyphenate make a difference? Many people don't care for hyphenation, but the purpose of hyphenatation on body text is to reduce the rag on the right hand side.

2021-03-19_08-25-03.png

How many characters, on average, do you have per line?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, It is set to French. As I don't want Hyphenated words, I have not activated it.

There is an average of 60 characters per line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines