Highlighted

Text printing in different colors from objects with same swatch

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having an issue with color matching in some of my documents. Specifically, I have a swatch that is being used for some object fills, text colors and text underlines. Everything looks fine on screen but when I print, the text comes out a different color. The photo below isn't great but you should be able to see the text edges over the underline. They both use the exact same swatch (in fact the underline is set to "text color") and I double checked to make sure that the text tint was at 100%. I've attached the InDesign file for your perusal.

doc08615320200715102150_002.jpg

Topics

How to, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Text printing in different colors from objects with same swatch

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having an issue with color matching in some of my documents. Specifically, I have a swatch that is being used for some object fills, text colors and text underlines. Everything looks fine on screen but when I print, the text comes out a different color. The photo below isn't great but you should be able to see the text edges over the underline. They both use the exact same swatch (in fact the underline is set to "text color") and I double checked to make sure that the text tint was at 100%. I've attached the InDesign file for your perusal.

Topics

How to, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I opened it, the color onscreen looks the same. You might try turning off Underline and turning on Paragraph Rules (to see if it affects it in any way). A chicken-soup try is to export to IDML and re-open the IDML version to see if it exhibits the same problem. Consider printing only from PDF; not InDesign (something many say prints too darkly).

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the issue, it's printing out in two separate colors, which is absolutely not what I want. edit: and taking off the underline will not help, it was exhibiting this issue before I added the underlines.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

opened your InDesign document and checked the color values with Separation Preview.

I cannot see any differences in the color values. All CMYK 0,50,100,0.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, when it's printed is when the colors change. As seen in my post (the bottom text)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you wash it through an IDML export? Did you try operating the file in RGB mode? Did you try printing from PDF?

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does "wash it through an IDML export" mean? The file is already in RGB mode--or at least my print settings are--and printing from PDF is not the kind of workaround for this situation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it’s a problem with your printer—Separation Preview shows identical output values. Have you checked the ink levels and cleaned the nozzles?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's definitely something going on with this printer but it's a photocopier so ink levels and dirty nozzles are not the culprit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it would be toner or maybe uneven fuser heating.

A composite copier would not output the document CMYK values—there would be an additional conversion in the driver—which might explain the underline difference, but the character color output values would not change, so it has to be a mechanical problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I printed out the document from a PDF and scanned both in so the issue is clearer. Take a look, what do you think? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printed fine from my Epson

Screen Shot 4.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good for you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monica said: "There's definitely something going on with this printer but it's a photocopier so ink levels and dirty nozzles are not the culprit."

Hm. Could be an issue with one of the drums.

Do you see the issue with other prints as well using "orange" colors?

Is the issue always on the same spot or area?

To check this print a rectangle of the size of a page filled with that color.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a full sheet comparison of PDF and INDD printing so you can better see the issue. doc08615320200715102150_002.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines