• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text skipping frames

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi—can't find an existing thread with this exact issue, unless I'm not using the right keywords. I don't think I can post my file for confidentiality reasons, so I will do my best to describe:

I am working on a large report with a simple text frame on each page. (There are photo pages too, but they are separate—photos and text never on same page, so I don't think text wrap is relevant.) I have my keep options set to keep 2 lines together at start and end of each paragraph. I also have a lot of footnotes; keep options for footnotes are to keep all lines in paragraph together.

My issue seems to come about when I apply any character styles or manual overrides to either of those paragraph styles, let's say changing text color or adding a superscript—sometimes, but not always, a big chunk of the relevant body paragraph will skip a whole text frame/page and resume on the next one. (That is, it doesn't look like a page break, it looks like two page breaks. There are NO break characters hidden in my text.)  Often I get a very glitchy behavior where InDesign can't decide whether to do this "skip" or not, and it will alternate with every stroke I type, making the content leap back and forth across the blank page that shouldn't be there.

So my question is: what setting might I be overlooking that is overiding my keep options? Or is there something else I should be looking at? Happy to provide more info if it helps diagnose.

Thanks in advance--

PH

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I experienced similar issues in the past and reapplying the Paragraph styles helped to fix skips. 

I use the custom shortcuts to quickly reapply styles or update content in source file (like MS Word) then refresh links to automate the update and styling.

I hope this makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things to check when text skips a frame:

Text Wrap

• Is there an item (maybe invisible) with Text Wrap applied that is pushing text off of the page? Use View > Extras > Show Frame Edges to check.

Keep Options

• Check Start Paragraph setting
  • Check Keep with Previous and Keep with Next settings (heads set to Keep with Next, first paragraph style set to Keep with Previous, etc.)
  • Check Keep Lines Together > All Lines in Paragraph

You mentioned that paragraphs must keep 2 lines at the beginning and end together and that all lines in footnotes must stay together. If you have a lot of footnotes, and particularly if the footnotes are lengthy, that can lead to InDesign constantly deciding on-the-fly which relationship to honor when they clash because of a lack of space on the page. Throw in having heads that must stay with the paragraphs that follow and there is a significant amount of complexity to the decisions that it must make. Try turning off Keep settings one at a time to isolate which one might be the main culprit.

No Break applied

• Does any content have No Break formatting applied, particularly a long string of text? To check, with the problematic text selected, click on the menu in the Character panel and see whether No Break has a checkmark or a dash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm, thanks both. I've gone down the list, and unfortunately nothing resolved the issue. I even turned off keep options globally, and the issue persists. Re-applying my paragraph styles does not fix the issue.

Again, the crucial element seems to be not having a "pure" paragraph style throughout the paragraph. The moment I make any sort of modification to even one character, InDesign adds that break...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines