• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Tool, Selection, and Properties Panel Problems in InDesign CC2019

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to InDesign CC2019 and resetting my preferences, I've been having problems with the text tool and selecting objects in some of my .indd files.

One problem is that I am not able to select the text tool with a keyboard shortcut. Here is a gif of me simply pressing "T" a few times. The cursor changes for about one second, then changes back. The tool bar shows that nothing actually changes. Clicking the text tool on the tool bar will to change it, but only after InDesign freezes for a couple seconds.

GIF2.gif

I am also having a similar problem with selecting objects. While the properties panel is open, sometimes InDesign just freezes for a couple seconds when I select different types of objects. Here's a gif of me alternating selecting text and a shape. InDesign freezes the first time I select text, and the second and third (and all subsequent) times I select the shape. I can reproduce this pattern every time.

GIF4.gif

How can I resolve these issues? I am on Windows 10, if that helps.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Hi all,

This issue is now fixed in the latest update (ID 14.0.1) of InDesign CC. Please use the Creative Cloud app to update InDesign. Please refer to this help article if you face any difficulty in updating. : https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please can you try replacing or restoring the InDesign preferencesTroubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences [2009 Outdated & Locked]

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already tried resetting InDesign preferences. I tried it again and it didn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please can you share the sample file at amaarora@adobe.com

Also mention the system configuration (win or MAC)

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emailed you a sample. I'm on Windows 10 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gdwd ,

does this problem occur constantly during a work session?

Or only one time after you started InDesign and opened a document?

I experience a lag of responsiveness with the Type Tool only once per session when a document is open. It could take about 10 to 14 seconds until InDesign is responsive again. After that no problem using the Type Tool for the whole session. I experience this always only one time after starting InDesign. Trashing the preferences and/or the cache will not change anything.

I'm on Windows 10 German, InDesign CC 2019 version 14.0.0.130.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truthfully, I haven't yet tried a long work session with 2019 because of the lag problems. It's possible that after enough time these problems go away, but they definitely always happen during the first 10 or so minutes of usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you experience the same problem it will not occur in a special time frame during a session. Just one time for the first time you try to use the Type tool. So my suggestion is: Be patient for about 20 seconds when this happens, then you can procede like in CC 2018.1 or earlier versions.

For me the issue is annoying, but since I know that it happens only once per session, it is no real deal breaker.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean. You can see it happening repeatedly in my first gif above, right? Waiting 20 seconds doesn't do anything, it continues to not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gdwd  wrote

I'm not sure what you mean. You can see it happening repeatedly in my first gif above, right? Waiting 20 seconds doesn't do anything, it continues to not work.

Ok. Then my personal issue with the Type tool is different from yours.

But maybe the two issues share the same cause?

So send Aman a sample document where you can repeatedly observe the problem. Thanks.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem with v 14, which I downloaded today. I am on Mac OS 10.12.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverting to v 13 seems prudent.  I spent 5 minutes in a new document trying to resize a text box while using the Type tool and Command, something that should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lupineinc ,

what's your operating system?

Can you give some specs of your machine like processor, available memory or graphic card?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, I am using Mac 10.12.6. I put any non-v14 Preferences folders on the Desktop and that did solve the problem.

Thanks, Tracy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tracy,

that means InDesign CC 2019 had no chance to migrate old preferences while installing.

Interesting. I did that from the start. I have no issues but the one lag with the Text tool at the beginning of every session after opening the first document.

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the same as Uwe, and the only I have is the one lag per session lag with the Text tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue and sharing the file.

We are able to reproduce the issue. Please verify if changing the workspace to anything from Essentials, improves the performance.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amaarora  wrote

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue and sharing the file.

We are able to reproduce the issue. Please verify if changing the workspace to anything from Essentials, improves the performance.

-Aman

For me, there is little to no lag if the Properties panel is NOT open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've got the same issuu...

When wil this be fixed/updated. It kinda messes up my workflow

Need specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue as the original poster with the text tool changing back to arrow, seems to only happen in previous version documents before they are resaved to new version for me. I'm also getting the spinning wheel of death when text tool is first selected first time. Discovered that if I turn the control panel off on top (which I like to have open), this seems to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me too. Seems that the problem is in the control bar (ctrl+alt+6 in windows). When switching between tools the control bar delays the properties os the tool selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the "freeze/lag" issue in my newly updated CC2019 installation as well. It renders this (and previous versions of InDesign) virtually unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ClaytonKing  wrote

I'm experiencing the "freeze/lag" issue in my newly updated CC2019 installation as well. It renders this (and previous versions of InDesign) virtually unusable.

Why do you think, that previous installed versions are affected?

They will not be changed when installing InDesign CC 2019.

Hm. That said, perhaps with one exception: If it happens to you during installation of InDesign CC 2019 that color management will be turned off you'll see this also in all other installed versions of InDesign. Be it CS6 or any of the CC versions…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea how previous versions might be affected... That's part of why I posted this...

Clayton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'color management will be turned off'.
It took a wile for me to figure that out... Dit not really get wahat was going on with my exports XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines