• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text wrap different in Indesign 16

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just opened an Indesign file created with 15.1.3 in 16.0 and wanted to change one word in a paragraph next to an image that has wrapping settings. These settings are -2 mm on the right side because the paragraph itself has an indent of 6 mm so that there is 4 mm space between image and text. That works fine in ID15 (1-before.jpg) but not anymore in ID16: If I change anything in this paragraph the wrapping is set to -2 for the text and so it flows above the image (2-after.jpg). I didn't find any setting to get the old behavior so I would have to change all wrap values. Could somebody confirm this or does anybody have an easy solution.

Thank you

Hubert

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Hubert,

kannst Du mal eine Beispieldatei aus 15.1.3 zur Verfügung stellen.

Das Bild brauchst Du nicht mitschicken, auch der Text mag Blindtext sein.

Wichtig: Der Bildrahmen und die Textrahmen sollten die gleichen sein.

Stell' das bitte auf Dropbox oder einem ähnliches Service und poste den Downloadlink.

Ich würde das gerne mal mit meinem InDesign 2021 auf Windows 10 testen. Danke.

Gruß,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Uwe,

gerne, du findest eine kleine Testdatei hier:

https://my.hidrive.com/share/l.myfaqjkg

Danke fürs Prüfen.

Viele Grüße

Hubert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C'est OK chez moi.

InDesign_vxULyantBT.png

InDesign_QqVMpszrSh.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JR Boulay,

you are right. If you open Hubert's document from 15.1.3 in 16.0 the text does not flow differently.

But in the moment you edit the text it will reflow. Just added a new paragraph with the word "Edited.":

Opened the document in 16.0. No redraw of text, because I did not touch anything:

NEW BEHAVIOR-16.0-TextWrap-01.PNG

Added a paragraph. Wrapping of text is changing. It now follows exactly the wrap area:

NEW BEHAVIOR-16.0-TextWrap-02.PNG

If I do this with InDesign 15.1 the behavior is different:

OLD BEHAVIOR-15.1.PNG

Now in 16.0 the redrawn text is following the text wrap zone. That wasn't the case before:

With version 15.1 the left indent value of the paragraph counted as text offset as well.

This is, again, a change of behavior.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, hi JR Boulay,

thank you for testing. Change of behavior? Yes, and more it's a very huge bug in my opinion and a very serious point not to use ID16 for older documents. It's enough to add some text on one of the earlier pages, if that changes the textflow then the text wrap on the later pages is corrupted without you even notice. I had good luck that I had to correct the text next to this image otherwise the book would have been printed with a completely different textflow. Becoming the third edition with just two little text corrections nobody would have looked on pages without any reason to be changed. Hope Adobe will go back to the earlier behavior soon or give an option how text wrap in paragraphs with text indent is honored.

Regards

Hubert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hubert,

I said: "This is, again, a change of behavior."

There already was a dramatic change between InDesign CC 2019 and InDesign 2020 in this regards. Read:

Opening Old Documents in InDesign 2020 Can Cause Text Reflow
by Mike Rankin | December 15, 2019

https://creativepro.com/opening-old-documents-in-indesign-2020-can-cause-text-reflow/

We also had some bugs with this "new" behavior. Seems, we have to do some more tests on the feature with InDesign 2021 to decide if that is a new bug, a new feature or a new feature with some new bugs.

Please do a bug report at InDesign UserVoice and come back here to post a link to it so that others can vote for fixing it:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Found some reports on the InDesign 2020 behaviors with text wrap and indented text:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/32251567-make-bulleted-...

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39107278-id-2020-indent...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I can see from the document's history of your InDesign 2020 file, the document was not converted from an older InDesign version. It was created in InDesign 2020. Can you confirm this?

The document started with version: 15.0.3.425, was worked on and saved with 15.1.0.25, 15.1.1.103 and finally was saved with 15.1.3.302. Don't know if this fact is contributing to the mess you are seeing with InDesign 2021 version 16.0.0.77.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"you are right. If you open Hubert's document from 15.1.3 in 16.0 the text does not flow differently.

But in the moment you edit the text it will reflow. Just added a new paragraph with the word "Edited.":"

You are right too.

It's OK if I leave the document untouched, but editing anything (replace font) cause the text to reflow on the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines