• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Wrapping Issues

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to wrap some text around an image's edges but I cannot arrange the image behind the text. I am not sure how to proceed. Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Turns out, I forgot I had used some layers on an earlier page and was still working within the top-most layer! What a dingus. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to put the image behind the text. Just select the image then choose a Text Wrap option from the Text Wrap panel (Window > Text Wrap).

text-wrap.png

Make sure in Preferences that you haven't turned this fine ability to wrap an object regardless of its stacking off. Go to Preferences > Composition and make sure the checkbox is turned off, as highlighted below.

wrap.png

Hope that helps!

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I wasn't specific enough. The text is wrapping around the Image box but, I want it to wrap around the contours of the objects within the image. Since it is arranged above the text, the wrapping mechanism isn't detecting the objects edges, just the image box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes no difference if the object is above/below. You need to choose a different option in the Text Wrap dialog box.

Probably what you want is this, wrap around object shape, both sides, and either Detect Edges or clipping path (if you have one):

wrap2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to get the text to wrap the contours depends on whether the object is drawn in InDesign or imported from Illustrator. See screen shot:

TEXT WRAP.png

In the picture on the left the object has been drawn in InDesign. Simply choosing the "text wraps around object shape" will wrap the text around the object. In the picture on the right the object has been imported from Illustrator. Using the same Text Wrap option on the selected object will activate the Contour Options pull-down menu and then you can choose detect edges as shown. In both instances I put the objects above the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out, I forgot I had used some layers on an earlier page and was still working within the top-most layer! What a dingus. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sigh. Thanks for letting us know! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Text wrap left doesn't work. Please see screenshot. Thanks.Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 10.46.57 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines