• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The future of posting video in Indesign

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that adobe has ditched flash, the 'insert video' feature in Indesign is pretty useless (unless you just want your video to play in Adobe Acrobat with no control funcitons - it won't even stop playing which is really annoying for the end user!)

Is there a good work around? Did Adobe ever offer up an alternative way to do this as well as before when flash was working?

All help much appreciated. 

Thanks

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Useless? Nonsense.

Works perfectly well in Publish Online, Fixed Layout EPUB (with the proper reader app) or in5 output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you want to do a .pdf the answer is no. If, like bob said, you publish other formats, your fine. Please explain further so we can help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sorry I should've given more information. Yes it was to a .pdf that I was having problems with. I'm really missing all the controls and functions you were able to use originally

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of that was nothing but a kludge, anyway. You can still use it, kind of, but you have to change your preferences in Acrobat to play multimedia without Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bob mentions, take a look at Publish Online. Handles video in InDesign really well, along with other interactive features. Here are some great examples: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks that's helpful. When publishing, it's held on Adobe's servers. But it still leaves a big gaping hole if your document needs to be private for a company and sensitive? Or am I missing something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, Publish Online documents are hosted on Adobe servers. As an alternative, try In5, which lets you host files on your own server: https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Diane, that's certiainly an interesting alternative. I'm still between a rock and a hardplace though as that's another paid subscription. I guess for a free PDF to pass onto clients, there is no straightforward solution I guess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How sensitive is the info? FWIW, when it's not super-sensitive, I've had clients put the URL for the Publish Online document behind a firewall. The URL is undiscoverable, so no one will happen on to it by accident. It is true, though, that if someone emails the link to another person--to anyone, really--they could access the document. Putting the link behind a firewall is sufficient in some cases, but certainly not all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines