• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

the mp4 video ive uploaded doesn't show up or render in indesign not even on the media panel

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to insert a video in indesign and ive tried everything it seems indesign media panel isn't working or something is wrong because I am inserting a standard 7.7mb mp4 file and nothing is working, to double check I even converted it on adobe media encoder and still nothing seems to work, I need to upload and embed this video in indesign then export as an Interactive PDF file

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Beginning with InDesign 2020 (v. 15) and continuting in InDesign 2021 (v. 16), the Flash features of the Media panel have been lost. FLASH IS OFFICIALLY DEAD!

So you can place an MP4 file, but you'll need to do some of the work AFTER you have exported your Interactive PDF in Acrobat. This linked YouTube video shows you how to add a controller in Acrobat (you can still add a Poster Image in the Media panel in InDesign).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxlPudvWhKM

A note says that it will no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your intent is to get a video to work in a PDF, I would advise you to read the countless other discussions here, but the main idea is that it's an awful idea unless you have full control of the reader app which must be Acrobat or Reader on a desktop and the multimedia preferences there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about linking the video by interactive button to youtube? i want to include this video in a presentation and its just so much nicer if i were able to include and embed it then export as an interactive PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beginning with InDesign 2020 (v. 15) and continuting in InDesign 2021 (v. 16), the Flash features of the Media panel have been lost. FLASH IS OFFICIALLY DEAD!

So you can place an MP4 file, but you'll need to do some of the work AFTER you have exported your Interactive PDF in Acrobat. This linked YouTube video shows you how to add a controller in Acrobat (you can still add a Poster Image in the Media panel in InDesign).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxlPudvWhKM

A note says that it will not work with InDesign version 16 but it works for me with InDesign 16.1, the current version. I just tested it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the MP4 in InDesign's Media panel with a poster image.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 12.50.03 PM.png

Here's the interactive PDF in Acrobat after adding a controller.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 12.55.15 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem here. I can place a .mp4 or a .mov file within ID (16.1 on MacOS 10.15.7). The Media panel shows up, but it doesen’t work. No chance to move the slider, nor to add navigation points or change de preview image. I’ve installed the ID Version 15.1.3.302 and evering works fine. I’ve already re-installed the actual version, but it didn’t solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines