The same font behaves differently between documents

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 indesign documents: 1) created by another designer, 2) created by me

They both use the font Neutra text set to "book", but they look different from each other. I have been through every single setting I can find but they still look different with "everything" set to the same.

Could someone suggest some solution here?

I would like the text in both documents to look like it does in version 2

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

The same font behaves differently between documents

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 indesign documents: 1) created by another designer, 2) created by me

They both use the font Neutra text set to "book", but they look different from each other. I have been through every single setting I can find but they still look different with "everything" set to the same.

Could someone suggest some solution here?

I would like the text in both documents to look like it does in version 2

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 25, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addition: It seems that when I make a new document the font behaves as in version 2.

So somehow I guess some setting or error in version 1 affects the font.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, version 1 has smaller leading and tracking, this makes all the text to look darker. If you wish, you can set them evenly and look what's happen

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply but I don't think this is the explanation.

Tracking is 100% in both versions.

Leading is almost identical and setting it to identical values does not change the problem.

Any input still very welcome as this is quite a problem for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The situation is getting a bit absurd.

Now in the document with the font behaving as I wish, part of the document has changed to this bold-looking font. See this image. All settings I can find are equal for these two pages.

addition pic.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly it could be related to this since I had a semi-transparent image in the document previously. Though it is described since 2011, so I would hope Adobe has fixed these issues since.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/20507950-text-rendered-...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you on? Is there a difference in the font appearance when you zoom in both documents to 400% or higher?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on windows 10.
The difference in font appearance shows everywhere:
-at any zoom setting
-in preview/presentation mode
-in exported pdf format

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At times I can make the bold-looking effect go away for a few seconds if I go to the end of a paragraph of text and press enter, but only for a few seconds. And selecting the paragraph and applying the paragraph style without any bold effect does not affect the paragraph in any way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0