† Theunis de Jong (1966–2020)

Guide ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better known under his nickname “Jongware”, our brilliant and famous colleague Theunis de Jong died on November 28 at the age of 54.

Everyone in this forum—and especially the older generation I belong to—will surely understand what this death means to the InDesign community. I invite the Adobe team, moderators, persons in charge… to create a dedicated tribute page. As Theunis had many many friends here (Peter, Uwe, Gregor… well! I won't mention you all, buddies!), it would be really attentive to give them a space of collective memory.

I have posted a more personal—and written—tribute on my website (I would be very touched if you read it, of course). It contains a quote that I think justified to share here with you anyway. A month ago, as he knew his days were numbered, Theunis wrote to me:

“I am really happy to have been a member of that community for so many, many years, and having been able to teach people the occasional tidbits about design, layout, and typography, InDesign in general and scripting specifically.” —Theunis de Jong, Oct. 7, 2020.

Take care,

Marc Autret

https://www.indiscripts.com/pages/theunis

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. It's another wonderful way to rememeber him, Michel.

~Barb 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We remember with respect, thank you Michel!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A beautiful tribute!

Merci, Michel

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such sad news 😢 He will be missed.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so sad to hear. R.I.P.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to know about this. My condolences to his family and friends.

Gustavo (from Madrid)

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such sad news.

Personally, Theunis was a regular help to me in my earlier days of using the forums, and gave me the push to learn to write my own scripts.

From a forum standpoint, he was one of the greatest contributors to this forum. Not just for the volume of posts that he would contribute to, but also for the quality of his answers; his wit and humor within those answers; the lengths he would go to in order to provide the answers; and his solutions that would not only solve an issue for one poster, but quite often the entire community. One item that comes to mind was an article contributed to InDesignSecrets – tackling tables through scripting – an issue that is often a pain-point for InDesign users who have to deal with tables en masse: https://creativepro.com/tackling-tables-through-scripting/

We will miss you greatly Theunis. Rest in peace.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a loss. And not just for his age, and the years that he may have otherwise had to enrich us further with his knowlege and perspective. But especially now, when information exchange online is so often embroiled in tribalism and negativity. May his contributions and example both live on, and may we each do our best to honor them.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He will be missed.  A sad loss for everyone

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally gutted to learn of his passing. He was,  I think, my all-time favorite person I've met on the Internet, ever.

I wonder if it's out of place to ask Those Who Maintain These Forums to give him a posthumous "LEGEND" tag? 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines