• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thinking through In Design Publish Online for a long book project...

Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a big book project - 100 pages (lots of graphics and photos) that was started as a print book project in In Design. Midway through the design process the client wants to create an interactive document too. The client referenced an Adobe Spark online document he likes.  The sample he likes is shorter and filled with more photography and infographics than the current book project.  We are still planning to write and design the print document first and then we are thinking thjrough repurposing the In Design document to Publish Online.  A few questions:

a) How might you modify an InDesign print layout to create a Publish Online friendly and attractive layout?

b) Does Publish Online have to be customized or are there wizards or templates?

c) Does Publish Online make sense for long 100+ books?

d) How does Publish Online compare to Adobe Spark?  Would it be faster to take the final PDF and images and create a Spark project?

Many thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Print , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Hi,

the good news is that ypu should end up with an approved content (text and images) if the client wants to repurpose it. I would start from the technology you want to use to publish your digital format.

Chosing a format to self-publish (on the client's website for example) is different that publishing a nice 'glossy' digital version to preview and order copies. Also, you can consider direct transfer. I use issuu.com (or similar) frequently to publish printed newsletters directly from pdf to o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

you can achive responsive layouts with this product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piRnlix23FI

there is no responsive templates you can use from adobe. i don't think you can even do a responsive layout from publish online. but i may be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

I would advice you to seriously consider looking into the IN5 plugin:

https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

It will allow you to take control over the online publishing process, rather than relinquish it to Adobe's online publishing servers, and allow you to publish your content anywhere on a web server (the client's own web server, for example).  In my experience clients tend to prefer it that way, or at least wish for more content control and ownership.

An online book with 100+ pages

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the good news is that ypu should end up with an approved content (text and images) if the client wants to repurpose it. I would start from the technology you want to use to publish your digital format.

Chosing a format to self-publish (on the client's website for example) is different that publishing a nice 'glossy' digital version to preview and order copies. Also, you can consider direct transfer. I use issuu.com (or similar) frequently to publish printed newsletters directly from pdf to online and share links through social medias for example. If the client has a particular marketing plan, style in mind; that will direct you to a platform and design restrictions/possibilities.
Some online publishers like blurb.com has InDesign templates free to download, ready for exports that will be compatible with what is expected, reducing frustrations and headaches. I am not working or profiting from any names I suggested above. Several offer a free (limited) service and a paid one. It really depends on what the client wants to chieve with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Do you know if the Blurb templates are responsive?  I should have claified that I am looking for a responsive online solution to add some videos and some basic interactivity.  I'm not looking for a fixed layout EPUBS.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can achive responsive layouts with this product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piRnlix23FI

there is no responsive templates you can use from adobe. i don't think you can even do a responsive layout from publish online. but i may be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would advice you to seriously consider looking into the IN5 plugin:

https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

It will allow you to take control over the online publishing process, rather than relinquish it to Adobe's online publishing servers, and allow you to publish your content anywhere on a web server (the client's own web server, for example).  In my experience clients tend to prefer it that way, or at least wish for more content control and ownership.

An online book with 100+ pages may not be the most efficient approach for online delivery - users' attention spans are much shorter for online reading experiences, and you would have to leverage interactive features to grab their attention. Look into state objects, animated content, sound, videos, music, slideshows, and more to keep the interest level high and condense the information to a more digestible level. IN5 also supports the integration of html/web content. And then there's the range of target screen sizes to consider as well.

A simple static print-->online conversion is probably not going to cut it, and you'd be better off just putting a PDF of your print version online in that case (or utilize a service like Issuu as is suggested by Eric), because it will be a waste of your and your client's time and energy.

If you do intend to convert your printed version to a highly interactive version, prepare for the extra time and money that you and your client will have to invest. A good conversion takes time. In my experience relatively simple interactive conversions of company year books and investment reports take at least two weeks of full time work (around 50 - 60 pages). It also takes someone with experience with highly interactive books/documents to do a good job. If your team never did one before, prepare for a steep learning curve.

And it gets much more involved when the client wants additional custom video content and animations (interactive infographics, graphs, etc.). The interactive version ends up costing much more time and money than the original printed version.

Adobe Spark is merely a simplified website creator, btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved now. We'd appreciate if you can mark the appropriate answer correct.

If you used any other method, please share it here. It'll help other users having similar concern.

If you still have issues, let us know. We'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines