tiff file loses resolution when placed in indesign

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Hoping you can help

I received a tiff file from my illustrator with dimensions of 1280 x 928

When I place or embed (doesn't make any difference which I do) the file into inDesign and then, without doing anything else to the file, do a test export to a PDF, the result is a 914 x 678 file.

I've checked with the printer and it doesn't seem to be related to their PDF preset

How to I retain the resolution of the tiff file?

I'll be grateful to hear from ya'll

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

The problem is on the Illustrator’s end.

Why the export to TIFF from Illustrator? There is no need to convert the Illustrator file into an image format, the better option would be .AI or .PDF, which would keep any text or drawn objects as vectors.

1280px x 928px is not enough resolution if the image is going to be output at 11.8" x 8.5"—its output resolution would be the 109ppi InDesign is showing as the effective output resolution (928px/8.5in=109ppi).

Also, The export you are describing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the Indesign forum for you, which is the appropriate forum for your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you scaling the image after you place? If the scaled resolution (the Effective Resolution listed in the Link Info panel) exceeds the preset’s Compression>Downsampling for Images Above PPI setting, the image pixel dimensions would be reduced.

Where are you checking the image’s pixel dimensions? Are you using AcrobatPro’s preflight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying

My illustrator knows my exact dimensions (it's a book cover) and he is adamant the file reflects the necessary full size + bleed (8.5 x 11.7899 + 1/8th inch all around for bleed). This isn't his first rodeo (and it's his second cover for me, so I'm inclined to think the problem is at my end because I'm a newbie)

The only scaling I do is to remove some white margins (not sure why their there) and scaling the image up to fit to the bleed margins.

I think that's only part of what you're asking me, tho. You're also asking me about the printer preset?

I'll doubt check that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for the typos above

the printer's presets indicate no downsampling for images (colour, grayscale, monochrome), but the box for "compress text and line art" is checked; not sure if that makes a difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I think about it the printer is probably right. As soon as I place the document in inDesign and check its properties its effective PPI is 109 (actual is 300). I know that sounds like a scaling problem...but I'm having trouble thinking the illustrator has sent me a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is on the Illustrator’s end.

Why the export to TIFF from Illustrator? There is no need to convert the Illustrator file into an image format, the better option would be .AI or .PDF, which would keep any text or drawn objects as vectors.

1280px x 928px is not enough resolution if the image is going to be output at 11.8" x 8.5"—its output resolution would be the 109ppi InDesign is showing as the effective output resolution (928px/8.5in=109ppi).

Also, The export you are describing would not further lower the pixel dimensions. Where are you getting the 914 x 678 numbers? You have to use AcrobatPro in order to get the exported resolution and pixel dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to you and to Creamer Training.

Yes, the answer is the get the .ai file and foget about the tiff file.

I did get a pdf as well, but couldn't figure out how to make that work in indesign; fortunately, the .ai file did the job.

At the end of the day, a simple solution.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the sizes you mentioned, 8.75 x 12.125 inches (rounded), your pixel dimensions need be be 1968-2728 x 2625-3638 pixels to print properly. The latter numbers, 2728 x 3638 pixels, represent the size at 300 ppi. It appears that your image does not have enough pixel data. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines