• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tint vs Transparency - This seems weird...

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
With the basic document settings in InDesign it appears that applying opacity to a coloured shape produces an incorrect result, whereas applying tint to the swatch produces the correct result.

There's also some weird behavior in that putting white underneath the opacity treated object causes it to change. 

These differences are shown in the attached PDF. 

I have two questions:

1) Is there a document setting I'm missing that will bring the same result from both methods?

2) Am I wrong to assume the results should be the same - and if so, why?

Thanks in advance.

Toby from Shape
https://shapecreative.co.nz/
TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Opacity changes depending on the object below, so if there is nothing below you would have to turn on Overprint Preview to see the output appearance when the page is flattened.

Output Preview turned off:

Screen Shot 5.png

Output Preview on:

Screen Shot 6.png

A PDF/X-4 export viewing via Output Preview in AcrobatPro—output values match:

Screen Shot 10.png

Photoshop works the same way—a layered file with live transparency:

Screen Shot 9.png

The layers flattened:

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The results are not the same except in special cases.

Generally speaking, unless you are trying to achieve some special effect, you should not use transparency as a replacement for use of a tint on an opaque graphical object.

Transparency involves interaction, i.e. “blending,” with the object's underlying content. The Adobe imaging model (also the PDF imaging model) supports 16 distinct transparency blending modes that describe the interactions of an non-opaque object with the underlying content.

There are only special cases in which a tint of a color is the same as transparency of the same percentage as the tint on a solid color. One such example might be an opaque rectangle of CMYK=(0,0,1.0,0) with a tint of 20% versus a rectangle of CMYK=(0,0,1.0,0) with 20% transparency with normal transparency blending overlaying CMYK=(0,0,0,0) content.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dov,
Whilst it's not immediately apparent to a user that this would be the case, it makes sense when you describe it this way.

I have another question -

In the example I attached - the transparent colour has a different hue and brightness to the tinted one. The tinted one, in the context of the design I'm working on is less attractive in this case.  – I notice that if I switch the colour to RGB, InDesign displays the same colour across both the transparent and tinted methods - in this case the cooler, lighter colour (which I prefr) of the pair is applied to both. Would this techincally be a more optically accurate representation of the tint of the blue than the CMYK handling?

Toby from Shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opacity changes depending on the object below, so if there is nothing below you would have to turn on Overprint Preview to see the output appearance when the page is flattened.

Output Preview turned off:

Screen Shot 5.png

Output Preview on:

Screen Shot 6.png

A PDF/X-4 export viewing via Output Preview in AcrobatPro—output values match:

Screen Shot 10.png

Photoshop works the same way—a layered file with live transparency:

Screen Shot 9.png

The layers flattened:

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob - Interesting to know - Am I right to assume this would not be the case in RGB?

Toby from Shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There would still be a difference between a white object below and nothing below, and the chosen Transparency Blend Space would have an affect. In any case if the document is for print you’ll need to turn on Overprint Preview to get the an accurate output preview. 

RGB Swatch, RGB vs CMYK Transparency Blend Space with OP turned on:

Screen Shot 11.pngScreen Shot 12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines