• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tips for starting a indesign document: Choosing category, present and size (web or print)

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hei guys!

I got a quite a task on work for creating a publiv document for the municipality I working for. 
Athlough I been working with InDesign before I really dont know much about the "basic steps" which might be cruical for how this final product will end up showing and be used.

The first and most inportant question is whether to choose a print or web category. I know that this public document will mostly be read on screen, but I also know that many people will want to print it to read it on paper and that a A3 (landscape) format probably would be best for a print version to make it easy and readable. 

However, my capacity is limited so I doubt I can make to seperate versions, one for web/pdf and another one for print (A3?). Do you guys have any tips for compromises for this kind of dilemmas for what category/preset/size that can do "all" or do I have to ask the leader of the project what she want to chose;

PDF or a print document/paper?

Just to say a bit on the actuall project; the project is a bout comparing data/information for several small places in the municipality and will consist of pictures, and graphs and diagrams comparing this six places for differences in demographics, maps and so on, but not all comparing information will have to stand next to each other on each page, but some kind of landscape format will probably do best overall.

Sorry if this got messy, just ask for more specific information and I will require my leader also.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Performance , Print , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is a professional applicaton with a steep learning curve. You need to take some basic lessons -- I suggest you have a look at Linkedin Learning online video tutorials, and then return here with specific questions. You can get a 30-day free trial. https://www.linkedin.com/learning/subscription/paid?&src=go-pa&veh=sem_src.go-pa_c.ggl-lil-sem-b2c-b...You need to learn basic Photoshop as well.

Regarding the size of your document, I suggest to begin with you select Print as the intent and A4 portrat for the size and add 3mm bleed.

It may be worth considering hiring a professional designer instead!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The first and most inportant question is whether to choose a print or web category.

The Intent only affects the intial setup of the document, you could make a Print intent document and still use it for web purposes. If the chosen Intent is Print the intial Swatches are defined as CMYK and the Transparency Blend Space is set to CMYK, but InDesign lets you mix color spaces in your document, so the swatch and blend color spaces can be changed at anytime.

A Print Intent document with CMYK colors can be converted to RGB when it is exported to PDF—an Interactive PDF automatically makes the conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines