Highlighted

Title within (interrupting) frame border

Participant ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A common graphic technique is to have a title within (interrupting) a frame border. I tried to recreate this in InDesign by shifting the paragraph, the paragraph shading and the paragraph border all up into the frame border. It almost works. Important-Points-2.jpg

If the pagagraph and shading and boreder could overprint the frame border, this would be a very nice design trick. I thought about doing it as an anchored object with a PNG file, but figured it probably woldn't work. I gave up and ended up with this:

Important-Points-1.jpg

It's nice but not as nice.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Keith,

The best solution I could come up with is to use object styles that nest the paragraph styles and then add an anchor. If you need more information I can certainly provide it.

~Barb 

y_example.gif

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Title within (interrupting) frame border

Participant ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A common graphic technique is to have a title within (interrupting) a frame border. I tried to recreate this in InDesign by shifting the paragraph, the paragraph shading and the paragraph border all up into the frame border. It almost works. Important-Points-2.jpg

If the pagagraph and shading and boreder could overprint the frame border, this would be a very nice design trick. I thought about doing it as an anchored object with a PNG file, but figured it probably woldn't work. I gave up and ended up with this:

Important-Points-1.jpg

It's nice but not as nice.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Keith,

The best solution I could come up with is to use object styles that nest the paragraph styles and then add an anchor. If you need more information I can certainly provide it.

~Barb 

y_example.gif

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith,

~Barb 

y_example.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 1
Participant ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, Barb! My mind stuck at the point of creating a graphic to use as an anchored object. You smarts now let me do what I wanted. I didn't nest anything, I just copied and pasted a text frame with a suitable object style manually into a paragraph style at the top of each box. Worked like a charm. Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great news! Glad that will work for you. 😊

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0